Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

I have been having problems getting my wireless network to function on my Ubuntu 9.04. I am using a router set to WPA-PSK encryption, with a TKIP authentication level. I see nowhere on the wireless setup for me to enter this info, most specifically the TKIP encryption. I was hoping this was an easy fix, but I have been unable to access the wireless network no matter what I try.
"Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding."
Burt Rutan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hey SpaceShipOne
I suggest that you try this link out and see if that works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Regards
~powerjuce

#3 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hey SpaceShipOne
I suggest that you try this link out and see if that works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Regards
~powerjuce

And if it doesn't go to VectorLinux!

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

I couldn't get wireless (Dell laptop) with Ubuntu 9.04 so I went with Linux Mint. Very similar to Ubuntu (but green not brown), Mint picked up my wirless faster than a fast thing! Also picked up my mobile broadband dongle with no problem at all.

Hope this is of use?

#5 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

I couldn't get wireless (Dell laptop) with Ubuntu 9.04 so I went with Linux Mint. Very similar to Ubuntu (but green not brown), Mint picked up my wirless faster than a fast thing! Also picked up my mobile broadband dongle with no problem at all.

Hope this is of use?

Cannot speak about dongles but had no problems with Dell Latitude E630 with broadcom builtin, either with Fedora 11.0 or Ultimate Edition 2.2 (Ubuntu 9.04 based distro but beautifully garnered by 'Thee Mahn').

best regards,
chameleon437

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks chameleon437 I'll give them a try over the weekend.

#7 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have been having problems getting my wireless network to function on my Ubuntu 9.04. I am using a router set to WPA-PSK encryption, with a TKIP authentication level. I see nowhere on the wireless setup for me to enter this info, most specifically the TKIP encryption. I was hoping this was an easy fix, but I have been unable to access the wireless network no matter what I try.

There's no need to change your distro. Try Wicd.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

Wicd is an excellent wireless manager. You should uninstall the native Gnome network manager before installing Wicd.

#8 oobrokensilence

oobrokensilence

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

Try plugging in via Ethernet and going into your restricted drivers menu and enabling your wireless driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users