Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The more Vista updates, the more the internet freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StartingOver

StartingOver

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this issue. If not, please let me know or redirect me.

I'm trying to help a friend with his Vista computer & it's driving me NUTS! I will confess up front that I am still running XP SP2 on my three machines so my Vista experience is extremely limited. FYI, this post is being issued with the computer in question.

Here are the specs on his system:
Compaq Presario SR5550F - everything listed below was factory pre-loaded. No discs were provided with the system.
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (x32) with SP1 (pre-loaded)
Memory: 3GB - Configuration= 2 - 1024 MB DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800 MHz) modules and 2 - 512 MB DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800 MHz) modules
Hard Drive: Hitachi SCSI 500 GB (Advanced system information shows C:/ partition has approx. 465 GB and D:/ (recovery) partition has approx. 10.5 GB)
Video and Sound components: on-board using shared memory
Network Card: on-board NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

The problem: If I'm online using IE7 or Firefox, the browser will freeze. I cannot determine a specific circumstance or combination of circumstances that will cause this. I cannot make either browser freeze by doing the same thing twice. Sometimes the freeze occurs when I click on a hyperlink. The hyperlink can be from a Google search or may be inside a website. Other times I may be reading a webpage which has a scrollbar to the right. When I try to scroll, I find that I'm "frozen". If I reboot the system, go back online, it will be fine for anywhere from 30 seconds to two hours or more. If I'm using the system for any local functions, I.E. using Word and Excel while also opening and viewing large .pdf files among other things, the system works without freezes or error reports, although it seems very slow for its configuration.

I've recovered the system twice using the destructive recovery function where all user files and any user-installed software are deleted. I will have no problems until I begin installing Windows Vista updates. The more updates I install, the slower the system gets. I have not tried installing one update at a time to see if a particular update is the cause. But, that would be my next (very time-consuming!) step.

I installed ZoneAlarms free firewall and have searched any alert that I do not recognize, whether the alert is something trying to contact the web from the computer or vice-versa. I've been using AVG Free 8.5 anti-virus. Results show that the system is clean. I've also been manually running the following anti-virus/anti-spyware software: SpyBot S & D, CCleaner & Super AntiSpyware. All with no high-risk results. As a matter of fact, I have found little other that some tracking cookies. My latest attempt was to install and run Avast free version and run the boot sector scan. Nothing.

Physically, I've inspected the inside of the tower for dust & dirt. It's pretty clean. I've used Windows ScanDisk & received a clean report. I've also run the smart scan on the hard drive from the bios with clean results.

Finally, I reviewed the Event Viewer under the Administrative Tools. I must admit that, although I can review the events, I am over my head at interpreting them. I can simply tell you that it is full of error reports.

I am at the limits of my knowledge. HELP!
MartyWalker
Just Remember "To Err Is Human" (To REALLY Foul Things Up Requires A Computer!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baysider

Baysider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:58 AM

I can't help but I have exactly the same problem. I have also tried Firefox and the same thing happens. Any advice would be appreciated.

Compaq Presario SR5460AN - everything listed below was factory pre-loaded. No discs were provided with the system.
CPU: AMD Phenom™ 8400 Triple Core Processor 2.1 GHz
Memory: 3GB
Video and Sound components: on-board using shared memory
Network Card: on-board NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

I have tried full system recovery and Compaq (HP) have even replaced the motherboard under warranty.

I have tried all IE7 resets and running with add-ons disabled. I have tried running with firewalls, anti-virus and other security turned off. My browser behaviour is still exactly as described by StartingOver.

Another PC in the household has the NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet card and it has never had any internet browsing issues, so this seems to rule out any incompatibility with my modem and router.

#3 CorpRebel

CorpRebel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hey Guys,

I had the same issue. You can see what I went thru and how it was resolved over at the ZoneLabs (ZoneAlarm) forum:

MY thread there ...

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=37717

IF you are using both ZoneAlarm firewall AND AVG Free AntiVirus v8.5 together, try and disable the LinkScanner function in AVG. It conflicts for some reason with ZoneAlarm firewall. Even the ZA & AVG people can't figure out why.

After a month beating my head bloody trying to figure it out, one guy in the thread suggested disabling the link scanner feature in AVG. AND my Dell notebook is NOW running GREAT with NO surfing interruptions! :huh:

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel :huh:

Edited by CorpRebel, 09 July 2009 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users