Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Taking a long time to boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jond2112

jond2112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

My computer has always booted up with no problems in about 30 seconds. About 2-3 weeks ago it started taking about 5 minutes to boot. What it will do is POST really fast as normal, then on the black Windows Logo screen it will stall for about 5 minutes with the little scrolly thing moving across about 100 times. Eventually it gets to the login screen and then to Windows. But I am trying to figure out what is causing this so I can reverse it. Here is what I've done so far and some info about my system:

Windows XP SP 2
IE8 not installed
Intel Dual Core
3 gigs of RAM
2Wire DSL Modem

Troubleshooting so far:

-Did system virus scans with Avast (which is running all the time anyway) and Malwarebytes (updated it before scan), no viruses found.

-Checked msconfig for any programs running I didn't need, disabled a couple that snuck in there somehow (quicktime toolbar etc.) but I don't think this was the problem anyway.... rebooted and no change.

-Ran eventvwr.exe to see if there were any errors during bootup that was slowing it down... nothing.

-Rebooted my computer with the network cable unplugged to see if maybe it was some kind of network issue.... didn't notice a change.

-Reviewed my Windows Update and found that it installed some kind of Family pack update to Microsoft .NET framework about the same time these boot problems started. Well, I had only installed the .NET framework to begin with for some program my wife needed, well she doesn't need it anymore, so I decided to uninstall the .NET framework completely.

-After I uninstalled each .NET piece I rebooted, no change in boot time.

-So I figured there were maybe some extra pieces laying around so i downloaded and ran the .NET uninstall cleanup utility found here http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx , it worked successfully. Rebooted, still no change.

-Finally I disabled the black XP logo screen so I could see what drivers it loads so I could see if it takes an unusually long time on one driver to narrow down the problem. (used the /SOS option under BOOT.INI in msconfig) Well, what happened was it loaded all the drivers in 1/2 a second then went to a blue Windows XP screen:

Microsoft ® Windows ® Version 5.18 (Build 2600: Service pack 2)
2 System Processors [3071 MB Memory] Multiprocessor Kernel

...for the rest of the 5 minutes. Giving me no clues.

So I'm stuck here, don't know what else to try. Need some help. I really don't want to reformat and reinstall and if it comes to that, I will just have to live with the 5 minute boot. But if Anyone has any ideas at all or anything I can try, please help me. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

Can you get in to the system at all?
Do you perform defrags, cleanups etc?
If you can get in to the system, does it go at a slower than normal speed?
Have you updated the system drivers?
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users