Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

write programs to registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nawin_g

nawin_g

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

i know the risk involved in playing with registry but even then i am curious to learn

i know C, C++, JAVA, VB, PHP and have good knowledge about various registry values.

each time i dont want to change this value by using the standard way of opening the registry etc...

instead i would like to write a program in anyone of the languages and directly modify these values.

can anyone help me in this. either give me the source code for like changing the title in Explorer Browser are any other similar thing. i think i can follow that.

if not atleast give the basic idea to that.

PS: first post if there is any possibility at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

I hate widows explorer, so I forget the names of files (unless I have to find and repair them), but I think there is a file, dlls have info like that, as well as icons and such. I spent hours and hours opening various files in the target directory until I found what I was lookong for. For firefox, changes are done using chrome edit, and for creating skins, you must edit ".jar" files, which are like zip files. I just open files and close them being careful not to make any inadvertent changes. When I find THE file, I edit it and save the changes as I close it. reboot and see what happens. (I experiment a lot, and am prepared to do a total reinstall if I have to)

And sometimes I have to, but it's okay.....practical experience!
Getting burned in one battle does not mean that you've lost the whole war---Keep swingin' anyway!

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

If you know the key you want to change in the registry you can just write the values in notepad, save them as .reg files and double click and merge them. See Windows XP Tips & Fixes for some examples of .reg files. Click the links below that line to download them and right click to Edit rather than merge to see the contents.

As far as the title bar in IE goes, open regedit and search for the current title. Change the value in the right pane. Mine says Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by The Dreaded Leurgy. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:18 PM

Spybot and Spyware Blaster both have an option to change the Explorer title bar. In Spybot, it's in the advanced mode and in Spyware Blaster, it's in tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users