Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I had trojans :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beckynva

Beckynva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

I was having issues with the computer. I ran MBAM and sure enough. In addition to the usual tracking cookies, I had 2 indtances of VUNDO and 2 instances of BHO trojan. MBAM quarantined and deleted them,and now all seems well.
My question is, what is the most effective free antitrojan program? One that gets rid of it before it even gets a chance to harm my computer.
Right now for security I use AVG free 8,with antivirus,antspyware etc. I also have a firewalled modem and/or router,and I use Windows firewall. My OS is WindowsXP pro SP3.
Should I download and use any other antivirus or antimalware programs to enhance what I have? If so,which ones will play nice iwth them. I am very careful to keep my stuff updated daily and yet these trojoans still got in somehow.

Becky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware are about the best free ones out there, but they don't guard your system. They are all manually ran. I heard of one just the other day called Arovax shield that looks like it has an active guard on it, but I don't know how good it is. I know Spyware Terminator has an active shield, but it's not all the powerful a scanner. However, I've used Spyware Terminator and have never had a serious infection on this computer.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Beckynva

Beckynva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

OK. Thanks. Do you think that the antispyware I have on my AVG,in conjunction with MBAM is enough or should I add one of the others you mentioned?

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

My own security software includes Avira Antivir, MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot: S&D, and Spyware Terminator. I try to run a different spyware scanner every week. When it comes to spyware, the more the better. No single program will catch it all.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users