Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rearranging icons in Programs folders manually

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 prr

prr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have a folder in my Programs menu (start orb, All Programs) that I call Maintenance. In it I have links to programs and folders I like to access for monthly tasks like backing up, etc. I would like to manually arrange the icons so that the ones I do every month are on the top of the list, and the ones (such as Backup and Restore) that I need only occasionally, are lower down the list. Is there a way that I can arrange them? I have opened up the programs menu in Explorer (for all users), but re-arranging the icons in Explorer seems to have no effect on their appearance order when I view the folder via the Start orb. How can I arrange these icons manually?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

This actually doesn't change how they are displayed in the start menu, unfortunately.

They are displayed alphabetically.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

OK thanks anyways.

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Sure thing. Sorry there wasnít a better answer there.

Although, if youíre thinking of going with Windows 7, you can pin all sorts of great stuff to the taskbar that you use all the time. Iíve pinned the programs I use the most to the taskbar and itís definitely helped out.

Check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#5 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hey Ron, actually I'll stick to Vista now. I did d/l and run Windows 7 on this laptop. I did like it, but that taskbar was one thing I didn't like--big icons and I couldn't tell what was quick launch and what was just programs in the taskbar. Anyways, Win 7 was able to run all my hardware with Vista drivers, which is a major plus-- I couldn't do that when Vista first came out. Knowing the Vista drivers were now up to speed, I installed Vista over WIndows 7 and I'm happy now--all my hardware works. Plus my OS won't evaporate in a year when the demo period ends.

Edited by prr, 01 June 2009 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users