Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exceptionally low 3850 performance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richardbound

richardbound

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi,

I've got really low performance/FPS on my computer at the moment, what happened is;

I think what happened is I tried to upgrade to the latest CCC/ATI driver, 9.15 I believe, from 9.14, and it said 'mom.implementation could not be loaded', and 'CLI.implementation' or something, so I uninstalled that, and went back to 9.14, between doing this, I have needed to remove the virtumonde Trojan from my computer, and in the mix of doing so, may have deleted/altered some registry/system files, i was perhaps a little too militant about it,

Once i had removed it, the computer would not start for more than a few seconds at a time I think the CPU was overheating (90 degrees on idle :S), but i got that down with fan speeds, now it's stable, one of the power cables to the video card is loose (in the ATX? connector thingy, the yellow one - but I pushed it back in, and it's in securely, as long as there's a stable connection, which I think there is, should be okay right?, but the fan is spinning etc,

However I'm only getting like.. 20fps in 3dmark06, and the same in COD4 etc, it's really laggy, as if the card's not using/utilising the drivers or something.

So I can't play any games !

Anyone that can help? =].

I was getting 60+ FPS in these scenes in 3dmark the day before, it's lost like 40 fps top end, and 10 fps bottom end (60 - 20), (20-10) :/.

I have manged to get catalyst 9.4 installed again, and changing the clocks, it said they were at minimum when instaled (which is normal. i.e. - no overclock), so i increased them, no change :/.

I was thinking power supply initially, but theres so many routes - virus, CPU over heating, graphics card overheating/shorting/cutting out from loose connection or unstable connection, power supply gone.

Computers been on for 24 hours now though, and 55 degrees on the CPU, so that seems okay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richardbound

richardbound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

I was getting 60+ FPS in these scenes in 3dmark the day before, it's lost like 40 fps top end, and 10 fps bottom end (60 - 20), (20-10) :/.

I have manged to get catalyst 9.4 installed again, and changing the clocks, it said they were at minimum when instaled (which is normal. i.e. - no overclock), so i increased them, no change :/.

I was thinking power supply initially, but theres so many routes - virus, CPU over heating, graphics card overheating/shorting/cutting out from loose connection or unstable connection, power supply gone.

Computers been on for 24 hours now though, and 55 degrees on the CPU, so that seems okay.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

When it comes to video drivers newer isn't always better .
If you still have the older driver package , or can download it, try this.

Go to the Control Panel
Double click the System icon
click on the Hardware tab
Open the Device Manager
Locate Display adapters & expand the catagory
Uninstall ALL ATI video adapters listed DO NOT let the unit restart
When all are uninstalled close out to the desktop

Open My Computer
Double click the C drive to open it
If there is a folder named ATI delete it
Open the Programs folder
If there is a folder named ATI delete it
[You want to delete ALL ATI folders]

Restart the unit

Let it go through it's new hardware routine
If it asks to install drivers click cancel
Once the unit is fully started install the older ATI drivers.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 richardbound

richardbound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

I completely thoroughly uninstalled all traces of the drivers in safe mode, and tried to reinstall in safe mode, it said something along the lines of "not compatible with this operating system", but it let my install the drivers in normal windows, I went back to the 8.4 drivers that came on the discs, made no difference.

Is there some default display settings in system32 i may have altered? that affect display/graphics cards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users