Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Validation pop up on computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

A guy at work has XPpro on his system which is a hacked version (i think)...

he accidentally clicked on the windows update icon on the system tray instead of the AVG icon, resulting in a Windows download of some sort to be put on his computer...

he keeps getting a pop up (installation wizard pop up) that says something like this:

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

he has the option of NEXT or CANCEL and so he just clicks Cancel because he hasnt got a validation key...

can anything be done n order to 'get rid of it' or does it mean the computer needs to be reloaded with XP? hes HEARD that this will continue to pop up for 30 days at which time it will render his computer inoperative. i dont know if he has tried a system restore or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

BC rules state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

If your co-worker does indeed have a hacked version of XP, we cannot provide information which will help him get around the validation process.
As for reloading XP, he needs to have his own key in order to validate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users