Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot openSUSE & Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hey guys, I built an Antec 300 case with 320 gig HDD. I loaded Vista Ultimate 32 bit, it came up and asked for regestration. I powered down, then rebooted and installed openSUSE 11.0 on the same drive. SUSE works fine, I can't boot into windows Vista, the SUSE partition shows 160 gigs. SUSE states boot manager not found? Anyone familiar with this new build problem? Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hey guys, I built an Antec 300 case with 320 gig HDD. I loaded Vista Ultimate 32 bit, it came up and asked for regestration. I powered down, then rebooted and installed openSUSE 11.0 on the same drive. SUSE works fine, I can't boot into windows Vista, the SUSE partition shows 160 gigs. SUSE states boot manager not found? Anyone familiar with this new build problem? Alan

Hey audioAl,
openSUSE by default respects the windows space on the partition.
Re-install, but this time don't use the suggested partitioning,
create the partitions you need using the entire disk setting. :thumbsup:
The Owls are not what they seem...

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

Hey audioAl,
create the partitions you need using the entire disk setting. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the BC, I may just do that, do you mean Reformat the disk? Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hey audioAl,
create the partitions you need using the entire disk setting. :flowers:

Thanks for the welcome...

Yes, Re-Partition and Re-Format ext3.
I'm assuming you don't want Windows, but want to recover the lost disk space.
If that is the case, you have to tell openSUSE, that you want to get rid of
Windows by creating Linux partitions using the entire disk which is an install option,
otherwise openSUSE assumes you want to keep Windows and only allocates a
portion of the drive for Linux.

Another option would be to fix your partitions or at least find out what they are
from within openSUSE.
Launch YAST -> System -> Partioner
NOTE:
Don't mess with already mounted partitions or the swap partition while in YAST.

Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Let me know how it goes!!

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hey audioAl,
create the partitions you need using the entire disk setting. :flowers:

Thanks for the welcome...

Yes, Re-Partition and Re-Format ext3.
I'm assuming you don't want Windows, but want to recover the lost disk space.
If that is the case, you have to tell openSUSE, that you want to get rid of
Windows by creating Linux partitions using the entire disk which is an install option,
otherwise openSUSE assumes you want to keep Windows and only allocates a
portion of the drive for Linux.

Another option would be to fix your partitions or at least find out what they are
from within openSUSE.
Launch YAST -> System -> Partioner
NOTE:
Don't mess with already mounted partitions or the swap partition while in YAST.

Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Let me know how it goes!! Well, I do want Vista on the new machine. I am afraid if I reformat the results may not be good, I'm not real programming literate. I do want to dual boot both openSUSE and Vista,Alan

#6 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

I'm sorry Alan,
I thought all along you didn't have registration
for Windows and wanted to get rid of it.

Your openSUSE is working so...
YAST -> System -> Boot Loader

You should be able to fix things under Boot Loader

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

I'm sorry Alan,
I thought all along you didn't have registration
for Windows and wanted to get rid of it.

Your openSUSE is working so...
YAST -> System -> Boot Loader

You should be able to fix things under Boot Loader

Thanks Debtboy, and yes I spent $320.00 on Ultimate right before Windows 7 came out, OUCH! anyway I've found Yast system bootloader, just need instructions on how to proceed from there. openSUSE has plenty of space. Thanks for your help, I'm still learning terminal commands.

#8 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

Hey Al,
Here is a tutorial that explains it better than I ever could.

openSUSE Boot Loader Tutorial
Good Luck :thumbsup:

#9 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

Hey Al,
Here is a tutorial that explains it better than I ever could.

openSUSE Boot Loader Tutorial
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Thanks, I believe I can repair from that!

#10 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

Ok guys, I found my WD "Data Lifeguard Tools" disc, reformatted the disk! Only Vista still would not install, so I reformatted 2 more times. Now the HDD will install openSUSE 11.0 , I used the Kde desktop and now I can't get Amrock to play my music? When I used the Gnome desktop it played just fine, darn. Can anyone lead me thru terminal commands to help? Thanks Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users