Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista boot problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZappxdaxM0nsta

ZappxdaxM0nsta

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

ok so i actually run windows xp on my computer and i wanted to get vista. so my girlfriend was trying to be sneaky and suprise me by installing vista on my computer. sweet huh. anyway she has a lap top that came with vista already installed so she thought that she could put in her application cd that came with her laptop and clean my computer for a fresh boot with her operations disk. well since she did this my computer will not get past the dell sign when i boot up after the dell sign it just shows a little blinking line in the top left corner. i have tried to use my xp disk to reboot but when i pick to run from cd it tells me to press f1 to retry boot or press f2 for system utilitys. i have no idea how to fix this i have even tried running boot disks and data recovery doctors and nothing happens. can some one get me going in the right direction. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

You really aren't supposed to use the same instillation disk on two different computers. I think it is a bit illegal (correct me if I'm wrong). If you have a desktop HP and she has a laptop Dell, that also may not work out too well. What are the make and model's of the computers?

I also hope you had all of your personal documents off of there, installing a new OS completely wiped your hard drive.

#3 ZappxdaxM0nsta

ZappxdaxM0nsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

its a dell dimension 8110 desktop

#4 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

...and what's her laptop?

#5 ZappxdaxM0nsta

ZappxdaxM0nsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:49 AM

her notebook is a dell inspiron 1525

#6 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

Is it possible to get to your files to make a backup? If so, you may want to do a clean reinstall if XP. I'm more of a desktop person, so I don't know how drastic (if at all) the changes would be in the different instillation disks.

#7 ZappxdaxM0nsta

ZappxdaxM0nsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

i have all my files already backed up, i have tried to do a clean install from my xp disk but i cant boot from a disk

#8 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

As far as I know, If you can't boot from a disk you can't do too much :huh:.

Can you boot from anything? (Floppy?)

#9 ZappxdaxM0nsta

ZappxdaxM0nsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

i dont have a floppy drive on my desktop

#10 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:55 AM

Can you get one? They arn't that expensive and can plug into a usb port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users