Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adminstrator Account

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

As some of you have been reading in my other post "is this overkill" i want to set up separate Adminstrator and Limited accounts.

Right now i am using my Desktop, with a fresh OS re-install.

The only account we have on my computer right now is named "Derek and Tiena", the one thay my wife and i use.

I do know that there is a system adminstrator account. I want to be able to access it, but i seem to have trouble doing so.

Once i figure out how to access that account, i plan to make my above account a limited account.

I do know that on the welcome screen, i can type in the account name, or type "Adminstrator" to access the system account. It wont let me access it.

I do know that the easy way is to make the "Derek and Tiena" account the Adminstrator only, and to set up a new limited account. Trouble is, that i have alot of files and programs that i have to trasfer and have customized. Maybe i am just paranoid, im not sure.

I just want have even a "limited access" Admninstrator account. I dont even have to have anything else other that the OS files and a few other security programs installed. Things like games ans MS office i wont even use in the Adminstrator account.

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 31 May 2009 - 08:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hi Derek,

Which OS are you using? XP Home/PRO. If it is Home, it is very difficult to get to the Administrator account due to restrictions.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

i have Windows Xp home w/ SP3

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

You wont be able to get into the Administrator account on XP Home unless you use safe mode. You should still be able to change the permissions on your account by navigating to the control panel and opening user accounts. In there you should be able to set your account to a limited account.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

I don't know what you mean by "accessing" the Admin account...the original account created is your default Admin account in XP Home.

If you want to create additional Admin accounts or limited accounts...simply use the User Accounts feature available in Control Panel.

Once you have 2 accounts with Admin privileges...you can even change your default Admin account by simply deleting the original.

Louis

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

If you do not create an account when XP first installs it will let you use the Admin account.

However as you've created one it hides it. If you want Administrator to show up then you can download TweakUI and there's an option to unhide it there. You can also do it through the registry but this way is easier.

You don't have to unhide this default account though, if you just want two seperate accounts one for installing programs and one for general usage. Basically:

All accounts can either have limited or admin privledges.

Windows XP by default has an account called administrator which has admin privledges.
You have just created another account called derek and tiena which has admin privledges
You can create another account called "whatever" if you want which has limited privleges

Then you can use "whatever" for general usage, "derek and tiena" for installing and leave the default account called "administrator" hidden away.

You can of course do it your way aswell i'm just trying to explain that you can have multiple accounts with administrator privledges.

Edited by JJ2K, 01 June 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Ok right now i am using my system under safe mode, with the Adminstrator account (the system account, not the one i created)

Would it be a good idea to use safe mode to do virus scans and other stuff, such as Defragmenting the hdd and doing MS updates?

#8 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

Well after spending the last few hours messing with my system, i gave up.

I made a new account gave it adminstrator rights, and called it "Admin". I made my "Derek and Tiena" accout limited. I moved all of the My Documents and have been resetting all of my personal settings in the new account.

I think all is good now, thanks to all who gave help!

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:22 AM

Glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users