Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor tinted green - Monitor/Cable OK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Ned

Lord Ned

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hey everyone, recently I wanted to try SLI to get some more performance out of my games. I have two Geforce 8500 GT's, and I hooked them up no problem. Then, one day I turned my computer on, and everything was tinted green!

On the left side of the monitor I have a zig-zag bar running straight up and down, and the rest of my screen has a wonderful green tint. So after taking the basic trouble shooting steps (Checked the cable connections, etc) and everything still stayed the same, I shut down, pulled the cards out of SLI, and put just one in. I turned it back on, and what do you know, it's still green. I fixed it temporarily by using a VGA to DVI converter and hooking my monitor into the DVI slot on the card, but then I was playing COD4 and the screen started vignetting, and then the black bar showed up and I knew I had trouble.

What I have done:
Tried both video cards on their own in non-sli configuration
Reinstalled GFX drivers, both current and old versions
Tried the monitor on another computer, it's perfectly fine.
Tried both PCI 16x slots in my Motherboard with either card.

What's strange is: The brighter the screen/application, the more pronounced the green effect is and darker the monitor is. So when I have Firefox open with BleepingComputer, it's pretty green and dark. But if I minimize to my spotless black desktop, the green effect is gone (no it's not just hiding), and the only appearance is the zig zag. In addition to this, if I bump the resolution down one notch (From 1440x900 to 1360x768) the green goes away. However, when I went to test COD4 it popped back into it's green status.

GPU-Z reports the temperatures at 53c at idle.

Anyone have any clue what is failing here? I'd say it's drivers/software conflict because it displays fine in the windows XP bootup and welcome screen, but after that it goes kaput. Then again, it could be hardware. Any ideas?

Edited by Lord Ned, 30 May 2009 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

You hooked the monitor up to another computer and it worked fine. Can you take another monitor and hook it up to this computer? It sounds weird but I've seen hardware become sensitive like that where it will work on one computer and not another.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Lord Ned

Lord Ned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

You hooked the monitor up to another computer and it worked fine. Can you take another monitor and hook it up to this computer? It sounds weird but I've seen hardware become sensitive like that where it will work on one computer and not another.

Be back in a sec, assaulting brother so I can use his monitor. ;)

In the mean time, here's some pictures taken with my camera.
Posted Image
If there is black on the left side of this line, the monitor isn't tinted. If there's white on the left side, it's tinted!

Edit:

I put this card in the other PCI 16x slot and it's ungreen... Again. However, I'm going to go play COD4 and I think that will cause the tint to come back.

Edit:

While I was playing COD4 it was vinetting, and the bar was there. However, when I quit the monitor is fine... Grr.

Edit:

Okay. I went and played around with a second monitor. I could play Call of Duty just fine on the other monitor, but as soon as I put it back on mine, we had problems. I never actually got back into COD4 -- This is because when I switched the monitors back across it downgraded my resolution. Something about 1400x900 @ 60Hz makes the green happen. Any other resolution is fine. I dunno about lower then 60Hz as it isn't an option, and above 60hz is out of range. However, while my monitor was hooked up to his computer, it was just fine at 1440x900 @ 59.88 Hz.

Where it gets even weirder is shutting down the computer, re-seating the card, plugging it back in, starting her up, and it works fine at 1440x900 @ 60 Hz.

What's going on? Is it my video card, or is my monitor kicking the bucket. (Eek)

Edited by Lord Ned, 30 May 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

It sounds like the refresh rate setting is messed up. You can't set it lower than 60hz? Not even at 59hz? How did you get it running at 59.88hz?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Lord Ned

Lord Ned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

It sounds like the refresh rate setting is messed up. You can't set it lower than 60hz? Not even at 59hz? How did you get it running at 59.88hz?

Brother's runs at 59.88hz. That is according to the monitor's information screen, while mine says 60Hz. But I cannot change it to anything above/below 60Hz via Windows.

#6 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Brother's runs at 59.88hz. That is according to the monitor's information screen, while mine says 60Hz. But I cannot change it to anything above/below 60Hz via Windows.

Try powerstrip

#7 Lord Ned

Lord Ned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Try powerstrip

Googled helped.

Problem is fixed again at the expensive of one extra app at startup. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lord Ned, 01 June 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#8 Lord Ned

Lord Ned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

It's broken again! I'm still not green, but 1440x900 has completely disappeared. I've uninstalled and re-installed drivers, restarted multiple times, etc. I cannot put my monitor on 1440x900 via either Windows display Properties, or Powerstrip. I can do one resolution up, and one below. The slider just skips over 1440x900 in both cases. -- I can get to 1600x900 and 1360x768, but not 1440x900.

What component is failing here? Is it my monitor, or my graphics card, or windows?

Should I reformat? I really don't want to as I just did but if that's the only choice I have..

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

How did you get it so it was fixed for a short time in your previous post?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users