Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM malware removal tool

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnHS

JohnHS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

My neighbor asked my help in dealing with a problem on his Windows XP desktop. I discovered that his system was infected with WinPC Defender malware. I Googled and found bleepingcomputer's MBAM removal tool. Since the incessant popups on my friend's system prevent or impede a lot its functionality -- including getting an uninterrupted internet connection for a direct internet download! -- I decided to try using my own PC to download MBAM to my HD, and then copied it to my optical drive onto a blank CD-R disc.

My first question to the forum members is: Can I successfully install the CD-stored MBAM tool to my neighbor's PC as an alternative to the internet download method?

Note: If this method is deemed to be an effective alternative, then I should also mention that I planned to install it to my neigbor's PC while in Safe Mode.

My second question then is: Will the Safe Mode installation be possible -- or better yet, helpful?

Please help me help my neighbor! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Yes, it will work
Mbam is best run in normal mode, if possible
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

hi you will also need to get the latest up date
Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JohnHS

JohnHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thanks to Garmanma & Boopme for your replies to my questions!

Edited by JohnHS, 31 May 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

You're welcome from all of us at BC.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

WinPC Defender may prevent you from installing or running MBAM.

If MBAM will not install, try renaming it and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
  • If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

If it still won't run, then try this (you can also download and save to a CD or USB drive).

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode" after running ATF-Cleaner.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.

When done, try running MBAM again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users