Hello and thanks for reading this post.
I am attempting to fix my girlfriend's computer which is infected with System Security 2009. The malware (I think it is malware) launches immediately on startup. It presents a fake virus scan resulting in fake results of multiple viruses, malware, and spybots. After the results are shown SS2009 asks for credit card information as payment to cleanup the system. My girlfriend made the mistake of clicking the "Red X" closure button instead of turning her computer off. I think this interaction may have created more problems. She is running ETrust Antivirus.
I have unsuccessfully tried the following:
1) Boot in safe mode using F8
2) Open the command line prompt (when opened the command line appears and then disappears
3) Launch taskmanager (when launched the task manager opens for two seconds and closes)
4) Attempted to run MSCONFIG by way of Start>Run>MSCONFIG
5)Launch MBAM as is, renamed as .scr, renamed as .prt, renamed as silly.exe, renamed as silly.prt, renamed as silly.scr, from a flash drive, from a cdrom, from the desktop. (when launched it flashes open for less than a second and disappears)
6) Searched for system security files as found in other forums. The search feature in windows explorer is crippled.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't think I can even re-install here operating system with the computer in the state that it is.