Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I am trying to install Ubuntu on my old laptop, which no longer has a functioning cd drive. To further complicate matters, the old OS, Windows XP, has become corrupted or somehow damaged, so I cant install it from the desktop. I tried making a bootable USB drive that I would use to boot from, but it doesnt work. Is there anything special i need to do to get it to boot and install the OS? I set the boot options in the BIOS to boot from Removable Devices first.
"Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding."
Burt Rutan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Did you use UNetbootin as suggested in the link below?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/creat...e-the-easy-way/

I have not done this procedure but it looks simple enough.

Edited by buddy215, 30 May 2009 - 07:28 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

I figured it out. Apparently in order to force a boot from the flash, I had to remove the HD, boot, then re insert the HD so the installation could proceed. Kinda weird method, but it worked fine. I did use Unetbootin to make the drive bootable
"Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding."
Burt Rutan

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

Clever.

After reading what the Ubuntu site had to say about problems with bootable flash drives,
QUOTE: "Booting from USB storage can be very handy, but there is no guarantee that it will work with your particular combination of computer and USB drive. Even if you are able to boot from your USB drive on one computer, this does not mean that it is going to work with the next one. You can try experimenting with different settings in your PC's BIOS to make it work.END QUOTE Your solution is one for the books.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installat...image%20creator

I now have Ubuntu 9.04 and was glad to see some of the nitpicky problems I was having with 8.04 are not in 9.04.

There was one that I had to look around a bit to find. SKYPE. I think Skype is dragging their feet on upgrading their
program for the 9.04.
I used the commands below after some other solutions failed to install Skype.

Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal). Copy the following code and paste it into the terminal.

Code:
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Then to get the GPG key
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

And finally
Code:
sudo apt-get install skype

After it installs, you can find Skype under Applications -> Internet -> Skype
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users