Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG & Ad-Aware update issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leazle

Leazle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hello All

I am here because I need some assistance, obviously.

My problem is that my AVG Free 8.5 recently started to refuse to auto update. I am told that 'Access is forbidden by the server' or 'the connection to the server has failed'. I also am unable to update my Ad-Aware 2008.

I was directed to this page;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221477/regedit-will-not-run/

by a helpful individual at AVG and it sounds like I might have the same trouble as this guy. I should point out that while I am not a complete novice, some of the advice I have read on these pages whilst trying to find a solution to my problem, I have to admit to getting more than a little lost!

*collective groan*

I guess I am looking for someone to be able to take me through step by step, if at all possible.

Anyone with more than a little patience and some time spare, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Leazle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

I would suggest going to the HiJack This forum and follow the instructions on how to post a HJT log and wait for help.

However, you can try running an MBAM scan and see if anything shows up.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop from here.

Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings. When the installation has finished, leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Click the Finish button.

MBAM should start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

From the scanner tab, select a QUICK SCAN and click the Scan button.

After the scan finishes, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found. Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad. This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM. Copy and paste the entire contents of that report in your next post.

MBAM may tell you to reboot your computer to complete the process. If so, then reboot and post the contents of the log afterwards.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Leazle

Leazle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hi possumbarnes - thanks very much for replying.

I think I will follow your advice and post it in the HijackThis forum.

Thanks again

Leazle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users