Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing new hard drive help please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

first i would like to say im not the best speller or know much about computers. i will try my best. please help.

ok to start off i have a dell inspiron 1525 that came with windows vista. i have no more warrenty.

well i had a problem with the hard drive so i got a new one. now i try to run the vista disk that came with this laptop and get to the install now button. do the agreement thing blah blah and when it is installing windows it gos to expanding files then an error code 0x80070017 pops up. so ther for i can't install windows vista.

what do i need to do to get this computer working agan?

maybe a step by step instructions?

please help thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

How to use the restoration CD
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

How to use the restoration CD
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

so do i need that CD in the pic on that page? i have a vista disk but it looks nothing like that one.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Whicever one that came with your computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Whicever one that came with your computer

when i use my disk i get that error code in my first post

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

That is most usually a hardware problem. Either there is something wrong with the set up of your DVD player, or perhaps your disc is either dirty or scratched. First try cleaning your installation CD (DVD). If that doesn't work, I would suggest you take it to a computer shop. Since you state you don't know much about computers it would be difficult for me to walk you through trouble shooting steps for your laptop. But perhaps someone else here could.

EDIT: My bad, i quickly read your first post, you KNOW you have a hardware problem and were savvy enough to install a hard drive. First, recable your DVD and hard drive, ensuring that the hard drive is master. Then run either Memtest 86, Windows Memory Diagnostic, or use the
memory test in BIOS if there is one available.

Also, set your BIOS to 'optimal' settings..

Edited by DeathStalker, 30 May 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#7 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

That is most usually a hardware problem. Either there is something wrong with the set up of your DVD player, or perhaps your disc is either dirty or scratched. First try cleaning your installation CD (DVD). If that doesn't work, I would suggest you take it to a computer shop. Since you state you don't know much about computers it would be difficult for me to walk you through trouble shooting steps for your laptop. But perhaps someone else here could.

EDIT: My bad, i quickly read your first post, you KNOW you have a hardware problem and were savvy enough to install a hard drive. First, recable your DVD and hard drive, ensuring that the hard drive is master. Then run either Memtest 86, Windows Memory Diagnostic, or use the
memory test in BIOS if there is one available.

Also, set your BIOS to 'optimal' settings..

ok how do i recable my DVD and hard drive?

and how i found out the hard drive was bad was i ran some test i found and got error codes then just googed them. every post i read with the error codes led to new hard drive. but that idea didn't work for this error code that i have in my first post.

thanks

Edited by moparfan1234, 30 May 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

First off, I've not worked much on laptops, I'm a desktop man lol. You can build a desktop, you can't really build a laptop however because most of the stuff is proprietary. Having said that. I found out how to slide your Disc drive out so you can see if it's connected: HERE

I found more info on replacing it on another website. However in the thread I will link, someone suggests getting a USB optical drive. Do you know anyone that has one you can borrow? That would be a good trouble shooting tool if you dod. Borrow the optical drive and plug it in. Go into your BIOS and enable the USB as a boot device, reboot with the install disc in the USB optical drive and see if it works. If it does then you know you have a bad optical drive and you can choose either to replace it (probably have to get it from Dell as it seems to be a proprietary piece of hardware) or get a USB optical drive. Here is that link

One question did you select "format the hard drive" when you tried to install Vista last time? If not, maybe clean the disc, pop it back in and try it again only format the HDD. Make sure you format the whole thing, including partitions (I think a window pops up asking you if you want to save the partition). Try that if you didn't format before fiddling with the optical drive.

EDIT: About the error code. I'm surprised your googling didn't point to the optical drive. When I googled it that's what it mostly pointed to. Let me see if I can find the links again............

EDIT II: Here are two links the first points to the drive, the second to the disc. The most of the rest of the results that came up applied either to the beta or RC version of Vista, or the for an upgrade version of Vista. Neither case was applicable to your situation. Also, in most of the cases I found dealing with the beta and RC, the problem was the disc. Before I post the links, I have another question. Do you know anyone that purchased a retail version of the same Vista as you are running (IE: Basic, Home Premium, 32 or 64 bit, or Ultimate). If so try their disc. You of course will ahve to use YOUR validation code not theirs. Also note that the odds are that you will have to call Vista and tell them that you replaced the HDD and had to re-install to get them to manually activate it. I'd say the chances are like 40-60 that it won't automatically re activate. LOL I had to re-install Vista MANY times when I built this computer. I called them so often they were asking how my family was before I finally got it right...........

optical drive problem

Disc problem

Edited by DeathStalker, 30 May 2009 - 11:51 PM.

#9 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:21 AM

ok i got tired of waiting for a reply lol im kinda a person in a hurry all the time. sorry for that.

any how this is what i ended up doing befor you had replyed.

beged my sister to drive an hours to my house after she spent many hours looking for her computer reinstall disks. lol then i used her disks that are for a studio 1537 dell with windows vista 64 bit home primium. witch my inspiron 1525 came with home basic 32 bit. any ways her disks worked. every thing loaded and works just as it should. for now any ways.

but when i tryed to install my tuch pad controls from dells site i couldn't use the one for inspiron i had to use the one for her computer. also now works great.

now that im learning about computers i really wish i would have got a desk top. now that i know your not just stuck with what they give you new. my next computer i would like to learn how to build. i know i have ALOT to learn but im sure with ALOT of help i could build a bullit proof computer. but when i got this laptop i needed a laptop so i could take it any where i needed.

in a way after all the times it has been droped, nocked over, thrown and just plain beat up i can't beleve the hard drive lasted as long as it did.

thanks for every ones help. it was because of you all that replyed gave me the idea that i just plain needed to use a diffrent disk and it worked.

im sure i will need more help. but i seem to be learning computers fast. even know i hate them but you cant seem to live with out them any more these days. infact the only way i am able to pay my bills right now is by selling stuff on the net.

BIG THANKS TO ALL.

edit: i guess i just may not have understood what i was reading when i googed it. seemed like a bunch of crap that didn't help. i was probly wrong.

Edited by moparfan1234, 31 May 2009 - 01:24 AM.

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:48 AM

That will work until it comes time to validate your software............

Here's a good read if you want to start learning a bit about computer hardware. It also gives you some price ranges AND it is up to date:Computer parts guide and recommended builds.

#11 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

That will work until it comes time to validate your software............

Here's a good read if you want to start learning a bit about computer hardware. It also gives you some price ranges AND it is up to date:Computer parts guide and recommended builds.

what is validating my softwere? and what will happen?

thanks for the info. also i just ended up with a desk top now. this one i barrowed from my bro to beable to get on the net. his truck broke down and i have the parts he needed. so now i got 2 computer. haha wheeling and dealing all the time lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users