Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware issues - cannot run cmd or regedt32

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Recently cleaned off the fake spyware removal program SpyWare Protect 2009 with info found on this site - thanks!

However, still having the following symptoms of something still wrong on my computer:
- Norton AntiVirus has been detecting a Backdoor Trojan virus of some kind popping up - setup_u.exe. It does get quarantined - yet it seems to keep coming back.
- After running a Google search, when clicking on a link in the search results the browser (FireFox or IE) sometimes gets "hijacked" and brought to a separate site - usually some type of advertisement. Clicking the back button and re-clicking on the search result then gets me to the site I'm supposed to go to.
- Ad-Aware, Spybot SD, and Malwarebytes are all finding NOTHING.
- It would seem there is a registry entry I need to delete to clean this up, but I have found that I now can not run cmd.exe or regedt32.exe. MS Installer seems to be having issues as well, so I'm having trouble getting alternative scanning software to use to see what's going on. Was going to try re-installing the Installer based on Symantec recommendations, but when I try to move the old files by renaming them, the files keep coming back, almost as if I did a copy.

Per the prep guide, I downloaded DDS.scr and tried running it - but nothing happens (a command window opens for a fraction of a second, but it is blank, and then goes away before I can even blink), so unfortunately there is no output to attach here. So I guess the first thing would be if someone could tell me how to get DDS.scr to work, or has any idea what is going on based on what I am describing above.

Alternatively I could supply the TrendMicro HijackThis log, but I'll wait for some feedback first.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the information. I finally had the time to run a complete scan with Dr. Web and it found the following:

A0163199.reg;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{43172125-0AD0-4909-9479-AC28ACD763FE}\RP1230;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;

Other than that, I still can't run cmd.exe or regedt32.exe, although I guess I'm lucky as Norton, Ad-Aware, SD and Malwarebytes are all still able to run, so I'll keep using them for now to contain the issue.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

After multiple attempts, I can't get SDFix to run in safe mode or regular mode. What happens with SDFix is the same thing that happens when I try to run cmd or regedit: all the icons on the desktop disappear for a few seconds, then gradually come back as if nothing happened.

Not sure what the next step is - as always, appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Edited by Jeff Melnik, 06 June 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Topic reopened
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Can you please update Malwarebytes, run a quick-scan and post the log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

OK, here's the latest quick scan log - "nothing malicious found"...

--------------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1945
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/8/2009 6:51:22 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-08 (06-51-22).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 94040
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

A file called "setup_u.exe" keeps popping up - fortunately Symantec AV identifies it as a Trojan Horse and quarantines it. Seems to happen at least once a day, usually triggered by a Google search.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. I had an issue with MS Installer which was preventing me from installing SuperAntiSpyware. I downloaded the latest version of Microsoft installer and that resolved the issue.

I ran ATF Cleaner in Safe mode. Should I run SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode as well?

Thanks.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

Yes, run SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Jeff Melnik

Jeff Melnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

OK, here is the log output. The last entry seemed suspect, so I'm glad that got picked up.
I will have to keep an eye to see if I still have the Google redirect issue, which had been popping up again recently. After doing a Google search, clicking on a link would occasionally take me to a random advertising site instead of the page for the link that I clicked on.

Other than that, still can't run cmd or regedt32.
--------------------------------------
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 06/11/2009 at 00:06 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3931
Trace Rules Database Version: 1874

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:34:54

Memory items scanned : 216
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5966
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 25859
File threats detected : 42

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@2o7[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@at.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ar.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@advertising[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ar.atwola[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@specificmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ads.bridgetrack[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@interclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@tracking.foxnews[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@casalemedia[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@oasn04.247realmedia[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@adlegend[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@247realmedia[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@collective-media[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@insightexpressai[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@cdn4.specificclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@specificclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@trafficmp[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@tribalfusion[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@d.mediaforceads[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@c7.zedo[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@edge.ru4[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@zedo[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@media6degrees[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@ad.wsod[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@imrworldwide[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\new\Cookies\new@doubleclick[2].txt

Application.PowerReg Scheduler
C:\WINDOWS\PSS\POWERREG SCHEDULER V3.EXESTARTUP
-------------------------------------------------------------

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD - #275 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .vbs file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to run the script. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

Also, log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users