Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting XP and Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hello friends,

I have recently been experimenting with different versions of Linux via "Live CDs" and pendrive installs. I think I would like to actually install one of these versions to my computer in a way that will allow me to BOOT to either Windows XP OR Linux. Most of the dual booting instructions that I have come across talk about partioning your hard drive. I am considering that but would also like to consider having XP on drive C and Linuix on Drive D.

My PC is an HP Pavillion with an AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz cpu and 512MB of RAM. Drive C is 40GB and drive D is 5GB.

I would like to hear recommendations and explanations of just how I should proceed.

Thanks for any and all input!!

:thumbsup:
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'm not sure about other distros, but I do know that Ubuntu's installer will detect the second drive, and all you'd have to do is select it.

EDIT: A fully updated Ubuntu installation will take up around 2GB.

Edited by MadDawg, 30 May 2009 - 02:24 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

I have recently successfully dual booted XP and Windows 7 by using the free Easus Partition Manager to create a new partition, and then you just go for it.

I originally used 1 blank drive which was fine for making the new partition, but ran into trouble when I connected up extra drives, webcam, and wireless adapter, so reinstalled Win7 again with everything connected and it worked out perfectly. One confusing thing is that each OS will assign different drive letters to the partitions and hard drives, so you have to keep an eye on that.

It was so easy, I think I'll have a crack at a Linux distro as well on another partition on the same drive.

(Consider putting in some extra RAM and you should notice quite a difference in performance.)

Check out this post
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1265828

Edited by rowal5555, 30 May 2009 - 10:10 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

Most major distros will autodetect Windows and play nice with it automagically. Alternatively, there's Wubi for Ubuntu.

Bleeping Computer also has a tutorial on resizing your partitions manually: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/

#5 cartpete

cartpete

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Linux (Fedora and SUSe) both support the GRUB loader -- which will need to replace the MBR on your Windows C: drive (/dev/hda). However once that is resolved installing a Linux system on your /dev/hdb (5GB IDE Slave -- I am guessing a bit here) drive should not be an issue.

I would look into (and I have zero familiarity with) ubuntu. Fedora and SUSe are both getting fairly large. 5GB seems a little tight for either of these distros, certainly you could not install the breath of functionality of either of these on 5GB. I don't know how small ubuntu will go -- however assuming you are somewhat new to Linux and disk management I would believe ubuntu to be more novice friendly than many of the odd / lesser known distributions. Lastly, I would assume ubuntu uses GRUB also.

The GRUB loader is very easy to deal with but it has to be on the /dev/hda drive and you are looking to put the Linux system on the /dev/hdb drive.

And Remember -- before starting -- BACKUP data you do NOT wish to lose.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

I would assume ubuntu uses GRUB also.

You are correct, sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users