Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the Best Way to manage Windows Startup Programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lernme

lernme

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

For a long time I have used MSCONFIG to manage my Windows startup programs. It seemed to work well. But, a few weeks ago I was attacked by a Trojan and ran a bunch of AV and Spyware removal tools. One of them was CCCleaner. I was told that using the Startup Tool in CCCleaner was a better way to manage these programs. So, that's what I am currently using. But, there is some conflicts in both MSCONFIG and CCCleaner. I am seeing programs listed there that I have uninstalled.

Anyway, my question is how to get rid of any traces of programs in startup that have been uninstalled. And more importantly, what is the best and cleanest way to manage these programs and keep them from starting?

Thanks,

M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Anyway, my question is how to get rid of any traces of programs in startup that have been uninstalled. And more importantly, what is the best and cleanest way to manage these programs and keep them from starting?

Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lernme

lernme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

Thank you sir. Looks like lots of good info. I'll try it.

#4 Excalibur_NL

Excalibur_NL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

I myself am VERY interested in measuring xp/vista driver load times and load order of the drivers, and be able to manipulate them.

Regrun platinum does something on that front I believe, its been a while I've looked into that though. Still, I am amazed that there isn't a bunch of good free tools available for that by now.

Mind you, I do not mean tools such as autoruns etc. These are fine, but more to use for disabling stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users