Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving BSOD Error Message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hello-- I do not currently have an infected PC but am wondering for future reference if there is a way to save the error message I see on the BSOD. Last time I had a problem with it the error message would display for a few seconds and then the system would shutdown not giving me enough time to read the message. Is there a way to save the message before the system shutsdown?? Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup: :flowers:

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hello.

There are two ways.

One is simply disable automatic restart on system failure or using the event viewer. Using the event viewer is a bit more complicated however.

Usasma created a tutorial on disabling automatic restart on system failure over here

I would use thie method below and refrain from using the registry method unless you have any problems. If that is the case, you should post back letting us know.

This is easier and safer:

Instructions

• Click 'Start'
  • Click on 'Run'
  • Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  • Click on the 'Advanced' tab
  • Click on the 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button
  • Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then click on OK
  • Click on OK to exit the System applet, then close the Control Panel.
  • Reboot for the changes to take effect
NOTE: There is an option to do this when your system reboots into menu that allows you to choose Safe Mode (if you have SP2 installed) - just scroll down the list and you'll see it.

Here is how to use the event viewer to find the error code: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

This forum is for more if you are infected, so I'll let a MOD know to move it to the Windows XP forum. If you have a BSOD or problem you should post it over there :thumbsup:

Hope that helps :flowers:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thanks EB....That was exactly what I was looking for. I especially like the "Techy" and "Non Techy" options for getting this done. You have helped me on a few issues in the past and everyone on these forums is always so helpful....I learn lots from you guys. Thanks again. :thumbsup: :flowers:

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Glad I could help.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users