Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to format? Message - HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

My computer is still functional but something really weird has happened. I had music files stored on drive E. When I tried to open my files on Drive E, the files are gone. Windows asks if I want to format drive E and shows 0 mbs on the drive. Drive E on the same physical disk as C but for some reason all of the files have disappeared. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

Run a hard drive diagnostic.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

IME, disappearing files is usually an indication that the drive may fail soon.

You may be able to use recovery software to get your files back if you act quickly.

Louis

#3 tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for your suggestion...The disk is actually on a friend's computer and I took a look at Event Viewer today. There are about 100 red x marks on the list followed by the word DISK...

My dilemma no is finding the best way to get her data from the failing disk to a new disk without compromising what is left. Should I creat an image of the drive before I do anything else and then try to take the data from that? The disk is making a loud thumping noise (she did not mention this to me -- just the file loss) and I don't know how much stress it can handle. She actually only has one physical disk. The most important information is the thousands of pictures and videos she has stored on the drive.

Any suggestion for how I should approach this...?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't expect much...a hard drive with sounds...is not a good thing.

As I stated, you can try recovery software...but I would not be surprised if unsuccessful.

You can try any number of things, but I don't know of anything that can overcome mechanical problems in a hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users