Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat external IDE drive but it was working internally

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mwarrior

mwarrior

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

My son's desktop computer (xp pro) had a rootkit on it for an extended period of time (he now believes me about firewalls). The drive and computer were still working when I took the IDE hard drive out. I need to pull off football videos and pics (can you say, youtube is not a backup!) before we reformat the disk. I put the drive in an external enclosure (Azio 3.5" aluminum USB 2.0). We made sure it was jumper right for Master drive. My laptop (Vista) recognizes the drive (shows in My Computer), but says it needs to be reformatted! My desktop (xp pro) says the same thing. Why oh why??? It doesn't need to be reformatted... I have other externals that were internals and they didn't need to be reformatted first. What is going on? I hope someone can figure this out. I hope I don't have to reinstall this drive and find and install a burner in order to get my data off the drive. Please help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

Jumper setting for the IDE drive? Does it match what the enclosure suggests?

Louis

#3 mwarrior

mwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Yes, it said to set it for master. I will take it out and verify. Could it be that the external might be formatted with fat32 (my son did this, so I'm not sure about it) and both the xp machine and vista are ntfs?

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Neither XP nor Vista have problem with FAT file systems...it's the 9x O/Ses installed on FAT which cannot read NTFS. XP installs on either FAT or NTFS.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2009 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users