Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Pocket Drives invisible on XP's My Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 techcall

techcall

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

When I plug my Pocket Drives in the USB ports on my Compaq desktop, I hear the Windows sound indicating that the USB drive has been recognized and connected, but the icon is not visible in the "My Computer" window. The USB device is, however, visible through "Computer Management/Disk Management".

I am able to access the USB Mass Storage device by first determining the drive letter (thru Disk Management), then using the Run command to open the USB drive.

I sure would like to turn off the cloaking device on my Pocket Drives. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

TechCall
Greenville, SC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:08 AM

hi have you loaded the drivers from the cd that came with it, because that should then put the icons in "my computer" then you should be able to do what you want.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 techcall

techcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:08 AM

I wouldn't think the drive(s) would be accessible at all if the drivers weren't installed. (Driver installation is required by Win98, but not XP. ) The drive is accessible.....I can even create a shortcut on the desktop, but the drives are not visible through "My Computer". It's just a knat bite, but it's driving me :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

Sorry to be vague but I read something... somewhere... about allocated drive letters. The USB device is being installed with a drive letter already allocated...

Can you use Disk Management to make it drive K: or similar? :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 techcall

techcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

After further investigation, this problem seems unrelated to USB. Any letter above H, no mater to which drive it is assigned, will not be visible in "My Computer." I have two hard drives, each with 2 partitions: C & E; D & F; a CD/DVD ROM (G) & a CD burner (H).

I reassigned (G) & (H) with random letters using .../Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, and then opened "My Computer", and those reassigned drives were no longer visible with the new letters (higher than H).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:40 AM

you should have spare letters right up to Z because i have 2 hd's 2 cds, card reader, printer with card reader, mp3 player, and usb pen and they all have letters after them. and when at first mine did not show up in my computer i installed the drivers and then everything worked as it should.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users