Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My security setup. Good?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pearce

pearce

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

Hi.

I have a windows xp pc. Amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3600+ 1.91 ghz, 1.87 gb ram
Really I do not know how good/bad this pc is. The 64 thing mentioned above I assume means 64 bit, but my current version is 32 bit, not really sure how to get 64 bit or what difference it makes to the pc etc. Any advice on that?

These are the programs.
Ges wall2.38 professionall edition. Kind of like a sandboxer thing it restrics and isolates known programs to prevent pc damage.

Spyware terminator with realtime activated. This is my realtime spyware scanner and detector. It detects a fair bit of things and has a good easy to use interface.

Avira antivir free anti virus with realtime and hips active

Super anti spyware profesional. This does not have real time activated, its just an on demand scanner

Malwarebytes.

Can you think of any better alternatives? I have 1 sandbox thing, 1 spyware with realtime, 1 anti virus with real time, 1 anti spyware no real time and one anti malware.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Don't forget a firewall.
Others may suggest alternatives, but such are somewhat subjective and based on personal preferences. You seem to have an adequate, layered application protection.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Avira antivir free anti virus with realtime and hips active

I am not aware of any HIPS capability in Avira Free. Can you confirm this and point me to it?
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

I use Avira and no, it does not have HIPS. Read the topic here.

As for a firewall, I'd recommend
Comodo
or
ZoneAlarm

Note: If you choose to go with Comodo for a firewall, please uncheck the box during installation to install the Anti-Virus component.

Edited by xblindx, 30 May 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#5 pearce

pearce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

Gday.

I'm positive when I installed avira it said enable Advanced heuristics protection, or somthing. Is that Hips?

Anyway - I got rid of a few things and installed a few things.
Currently I have avira antivirus free
Super anti spyware pro with realtime
Adaware anniversy, no real time.
Zone alarm free firewall
Threatfire

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Gday.

I'm positive when I installed avira it said enable Advanced heuristics protection, or somthing. Is that Hips?

Anyway - I got rid of a few things and installed a few things.
Currently I have avira antivirus free
Super anti spyware pro with realtime
Adaware anniversy, no real time.
Zone alarm free firewall
Threatfire

You're setup looks fine. Just remember to always use common sense when you browse the web, or else no setup in the world can protect you.

Also keeping an image backup and having an up to date backup of your files is very important.

Heuristics and HIPS are two different things, AntiVir currently only uses heuristics, though they do have a HIPS in beta right now.

Edited by Someones, 30 May 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#7 pearce

pearce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

thankyou all.

I am currently trying spyware terminator anti spyware as you know. Comboed with avira anti virus.
Spyware terminator failed its part big time.

I did a pc security test and this is what it failed at.
Add a run at windows startup in windows registry - Why didnt it pick this up, what program would I need that would pass this?

Simulation of spyware running in memory - It failed this, why didnt spyware terminator pick this up? What program would?

Add a spy content to internet explorer - Failed this aswell. ..

So yeah, firewall passed 100% aswell as anti virus 100%, just the spyware is getting through. Any better realtime protection spyware applications out their than spyware terminator? Preferably free of charge.
XblindX I know you use avira, what anti spyware do you use?

If anyone could advise me on what a better anti spyware application with realtime is, it would be appreciated.

Edited by pearce, 31 May 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#8 Infinite_Vision

Infinite_Vision

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

Super anti spyware profesional. This does not have real time activated, its just an on demand scanner

In the professional version, you can enable real-time protection because I have it and I can see it when I right click on it on my startup icons. However, I don't enable the real-time protection on SUPERantispyware because my NOD32 catches viruses and spywares. Plus, the Outpost Pro firewall that I'm using has an on-demand spyware scanner. Are you currently using a firewall or is that all of the cocktails that you are using? Almost forgot, there is a free version of Outpost Firewall

Edited by Infinite_Vision, 31 May 2009 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users