Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would like to upgrade video card & memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 romymichelle21

romymichelle21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

I currently have an HP desktop, approximately 4 years old, which I would like to upgrade to the point where I'd be able to run Sims 3 fairly smoothly. I have Sims 2 installed, and a few (not all) expansions, but it doesn't load or run as smoothly as it used to. I haven't played in so long for this very reason.

(My computer also grumbles at me quite often lately, so I'm hoping a memory upgrade would help with that).

My current specs are:

Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

HP Pavilion a1110n
Intel Celeron CPU 3.06 GHz
3.07 GHz, 504 MB RAM

Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

The Sims 3 system requirements are as follows (via here):

Windows XP Service Pack 2
2.0 GHz P4 Processor or equivalent
1 GB RAM
At least 6.5 GB hard drive space
128 MB Video Card w/ support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Ideally, I'd like a new HP in general, but I can't really swing that right now, so I'm willing to upgrade if the cost won't be too ridiculous. No more than $80 each for memory and video card, preferably. I'm not sure if there's anything in that range that will help though!

If anyone could advise on the minimum to run the game smoothly (not minimum period), and give examples of components that are compatible with my system, I'd appreciate it! :thumbsup: I can get any other specs you might need if you tell me where to find them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:38 PM

If The Sims 2 bogs down, The Sims 3 will more. Minimum requirements are needed just to get the game to run and, if Crysis has taught us anything, even suggested requirements can be well below what the game needs to run smoothly. After looking at your system specifications at HP, you will be hard pressed to upgrade that computer to something that can run newer games. First off, you can probably upgrade your RAM to 1GB but that is about it. The a1110n does not have an AGP or PCI-E slot, this limits you to the older PCI graphics cards. PCI cards are becoming rare but you can find one for about $80. In order to determine exactly which card you can get, you need to know how many watts your power supply puts out. On EA's Sims 3 site, they suggest not using standard PCI cards. Many computers don't come with adequate power supplies (300W or higher) for recent graphics cards. My suggestion is to save your cash and get a new PC when you can afford it.

3939.png

#3 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

I agree with DJBpace07

Saving your money for a better computer would be a wiser option. IMO, instead of buying a computer, consider building a computer or getting one built for you. That would mean that the computer would suit your needs more often.

P.S- I am not a fan of HP as my $2000 HP laptop died after a year due to a manufacturing flaw. Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users