Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HJPotter

HJPotter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Greetings:

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. The Windows Update no longer will update itself, which prevents any further updates to Vista. I spent much time online and in emailing back & forth with MS, who promised to send me a Vista disk. It never arrived (even after I emailed about it) and frankly, I'm about through with Vista. My goal is to install Win 7 RC and use it until the full version is released, then buy it.

But...

After running the Windows Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx), it says I cannot install Win 7 RC over Vista Home Premium until I have installed at least the SP1. I can't do that because the Windows Update has be updated first. Hello Catch-22!

So my question is, other than restoring this laptop to its factory state, which will wipe out all my apps and customizations, can anyone think of a way to upgrade this to Win 7 RC?

If it helps, Lenovo included a Windows Anytime Upgrade disk with the system, but paying for an upgrade to Vista Ultimate just so I can immediately dump it in favor of a time-limited Win 7 RC seems foolish.

Any help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

I tried the Upgrade route from Vista64 to W7 64 bit and it didn't work out very well. My start menu was blank and a bunch of other stuff was hosed. So the reason for doing it, not having to reinstall stuff, didn't work out.

One thing I found is if you have a lot of portable applications or apps that just use an .ini file in the install folder instead of the registry, and you don't put them under Program Files, most of them will still be there if you do a "custom install" of W7.

It takes longer than a clean wipe and install, but then you have to set up all your programs again. I have a lot of small self-contained apps under the Utils folder.. so it worked out fairly well for me.

What happens is it gathers up all the system files and programs and moves them to a folder called Windows.old. Then it installs W7 and the default games and crap. To use my programs under Utils all I had to do was make a shortcut.

Any way you try it, I recommend getting an image backup program and making an image of your current system. As in the case where the W7 upgrade didn't work, in less than 2 hours I copied my Vista image back on from an external USB drive.

The program install business is like the biggest hassle that should be addressed. But I doubt anyone will tackle it anytime soon.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

While the upgrade route may technically be possible, Microsoft is still recommending that users do a backup and a clean install of Windows 7, if only to give them the best chance at having a great setup.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#4 HJPotter

HJPotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks RonS and MilesAhead. I won't mess with anything but a clean install of Win 7 on that laptop. Life's too short to create more problems with software. :huh:

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

Haha... sounds good. If you need any help, just let us know.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users