Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR missing, bcupdate2 utility

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

I don't know where to start. I just put together a new PC for my business with the following: motherboard Asus P5RD1-V, Intel P4, 3.0G processor, 775 socket. 4 Kingston 512 memory sticks. 2 Western digital 200G SATA drives. I have set them up as raid 0. Formatted NTSF. Problems: every other boot I get NTLDR is missing. Checking through different forums I found this bcudate2 utility which apparently repairs this problem. Well no way to execute this the way that was described has left me using a boot disk to start it again. Only using the boot disk I get in a dos prompt & try to format c: not allowed is what I get back. do a dir on my c drive its says i have 6 bytes on my c drive. I see a little smiling face on the right of the dos window. That's what leads me believe I have a boot virus. Mcafee can't see anything. When I do get it started in windows it loads& again mcafee doesn't find anything. I was going to do a low level format & install xp pro c/w 1a service pack & try & avoid all this. Apparently the NTLDR is a problem in SP2. Any ideas? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rarehunter

Rarehunter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:53 PM

Hi buddy, I found this site about NTLDR, maybe it can help you.

NTDLR Errors

Edited by Rarehunter, 28 June 2005 - 11:54 PM.

Rarehunter

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:43 AM

Hi b1mmuo27 & welcome to BC. :thumbsup:

Firstly, what O/S are you trying to install ?

I had a similar problem a while ago. I was trying to install W2K.
I fixed it by FDisking & Re-formating the H/Drive back into Fat32.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 29 June 2005 - 12:47 AM.

JTH

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:52 AM

Rarehunter,

Great link there mate. Lot of good info.

b1mmuo27,

One other thing I forgot to say is check all the cable connections too.......a loose cable or plug will give you this error........

Good Luck
JTH

#5 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:04 AM

Try going into the recovery console and typing

FixBoot->Enter
FixMBR->Enter

Im pretty sure that will git rid of the virus but you might want to have Rimmer or Grinler conferm this as I cant quite remeber if these are the right commands or not.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:03 AM

Western Digital has a great utility that formats, partitions and also overcomes the Bios Limitation of 132GB that may be coming into play here. Its called Data LifeGuard 11 and you can get it here. Instructions for using it are here. If you purchased the drives OEM you wouldn't have received the software.

According to the ASUS Manual you need XP SP1 or later when using Serial ATA so you should be ok.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

Fixboot: Writes a new partition boot sector onto the system partition.
Fixmbr: Repairs the master boot record of the partition boot sector.

More info on using Recovery Console here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:37 AM

I've just noticed you are using Raid 0. Have you used the Silicon Image Bios Raid Configuration Utility as detailed on page 117-118 of the Asus Manual?

During Post press <Ctrl+A> and select Raid 0 Striping for performance.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Tried all of them & came up with this today & it seems to have fixed the problem although I don't understand why. I have an external HD, another WD 200G USB2 drive that I would keep on when I shut off my desktop. I am wondering if windows XP somehow was ready from this drive at shutdown & at restart was somehow trying to boot from it & that's all the errors started. I have now powered off & restarted at least 12 times this evening with the USB drive powered off before I shut down my desk top. It rebooted/restarted all 12 time with no problem. Can't figure it, but sure glad it appears to be over. Got tired of formatting these new drives. Thanks again & if you have an explaination for this let me know. :thumbsup:

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

That's good news. Thanks for letting us know what fixed it! :thumbsup:

(sorry - no explanation from me :flowers: )

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

From my own experience if I have my IDE drives connected whilst installing XP on my Raid array it will always try to write the boot files to the IDE drive, so I always disconnect any IDE hdd's before installing. This may have been what was happening when you installed your OS and had the USB drive connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users