Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected-Recovery Tools blocked even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Neilio

Neilio

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hello, I have probably 20 hours into trying to repair a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Windows XP Pro. The most frustrating part of this is that tools that I believe might help, such as Malwarebytes AntiMalware, Hijack This and RootRepeal are being blocked from installation or running by something...even in Safe Mode. I have tried the rename files names to get them to work...they still do not open. It is the "something" that I have been unable to find.
I was able to load Spyware Doctor, but when scanning it would hang up on one program...so it never finished. I was able to run Virut (it cleaned files, unable to open some) and right now Symantec Trojan.Vundo Removal Tool is running.
I have done a Windows Repair Installation which means I rolled back to SP1. I can get Internet access in Safe Mode, not in regular mode. When I try to update Windows it stops in the middle and says I have an error. I get a "spoolsv" error when the machine starts. From reading it appeared this is a Windows update issue. I did look for excessive SPL's and there were none. When in Internet Explorer I get the red letter warnings that I am infected with 18 trojans and should scan my machine. I did not click on scan my machine. Typically when trying to go to a antivirus/malware site I am blocked or Explorer/Mozilla closes.
I got regedit to work by renaming it reg-edit. The other above mentioned programs did not work even when renamed. Another program that will not work is Process Explorer. I have been getting the programs by downloading them to working machine, burning CD and transferring.
To me, something is messed up with a "core" windows xp file and I need a way to load software, scan the machine, and get the "something" out. It is my son's computer and possible infection occurred due to downloading music. FYI his MP3 player failed and looking back it is possible that was caused by an infection.

Thanks, hoping for the one magic answer :thumbsup:

Edited by Neilio, 29 May 2009 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users