Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well, I just found out how "Well" Avast alerts me to a virus...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

Ok, just browsing the web. I go to a webpage and a tiny alert pops up at the bottom of the screen that a virus/trojan has been detected by avast. I back out. I try to go to the google catched version. SCARED THE STUFFING OUT OF ME! Let me explain to those of you who don't use avast: When avast alerts you of something minor, it shows a tiny little red-and-yellow alert at the bottom of the screen near the taskbar. That was my first alert. If something major is detected, avast has decided to make you wet yourself. Not only does it have a full alert run ALL ACROSS over the taskbar, and a popup window, but it decided to be like a nuclear bomb, and it said, big loud voice, on full volume, "AH! AH! AH! AH! A VIRUS HAS BEEN DETECTED!!!" At this point, if this is the first time it happens (Like just now, to me), you WILL need to change pants, because that scares the piss out of you. Compare this to my old Kaspersky I used to have: Not full blown, but a loud and slightly annoying sound to alert you. This happen to any of you?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 October 2009 - 01:40 AM.
Mod Edit: Removed Profanity - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, Avast has a loud announcement!! Kaspersky has a pig squeeling for it's life. Avira has a hardly noticeable triple-beep type sound but I prefer it over Avast because I think its easier to use, easier to schedule a variety of scans, and is just a good a virus catcher as any of the other free ones.

But, at least now you know what it sounds like when you're infected!! :thumbsup:
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

LOL
I have used avast once before, and I understand what you mean. Once I felt like turning my speakers up for the music, but WMP crashed for some reason. Next thing I know, I hear a siren telling me: "A virus has been detecting".

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

I use Avira, and i think that its annoying that when it detects a virus, it gives you a warning message. I have turned off the Acustic Alerts, so at least i dont have to hear the annoying "chirp" that it does. But when you are doing something, it does take away the focus of the Window you were viewing. I just wish that there was a way to instruct it to take an action automatically.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 30 May 2009 - 03:33 PM.

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

That would be what the premium version is for. You have to pay to get rid of the little annoyances. I can live with annoyances that are that small if I don't have to pay for them.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users