Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wirthnm

wirthnm

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

im getting ready to build a new pc. its going to be a mix of a mild gamer and a htpc. how will the XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard do for gaming. im going to buy a video card later but i will be using the onboard for the time being. the most intensive game i play right now is wow. how will it run. like i said i will be adding a video card later just a little strapped for cash right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

In order to give a honest & accurate answer somebody would have to answer that has that motherboard & plays WOW using the onboard video.
One thing to keep in mind is that the onboard video takes away fromj the system memory for video memory .
In order to get at least 1GB for the game you woll need more then 1GB installed.

If this is the motherboard ypu're looking at,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813141011

I think I'd have to keep looking! :thumbsup:

Edited by fairjoeblue, 29 May 2009 - 06:09 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 wirthnm

wirthnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

because im a noob at this, why would i want to look at a different mobo? i planned on 4gig of ram so that shouldnt be a problem. keep in mind that i will be getting a video card about 6 months later just dont have the money now. i am dead set on a micro at because i want a small HTPC/ mild gamer.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

HTPC's aren't designed for games and their cases are not large enough to deal with newer graphics cards. I barely have an inch between my old 8800 GTS 640MB and the hard drive cage in my mid-tower case which is larger than an HTPC. Besides, there are better motherboards out there. If you are set on building an HTPC in a small form factor case, as most HTPC's are, you can find a better motherboard, such as the ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G. If you're getting a mid-tower ATX case, I suggest purchasing a standard ATX motherboard since it is more spread out and has more options, such as the ASRock AOD790GX/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX.

3939.png

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:00 AM

"because im a noob at this, why would i want to look at a different mobo?"

Look at the rating & read some of the reviews from people that have bought the motherboard.
If I were spending $85. on a motherboard it would sure have to have better then a 34% positive ratiting from 71 reviews !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 wirthnm

wirthnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

besides ratings why would i want to look at a different mobo. i already have an aerocool m40 case that ill be using. ratings dont mean that much to me because i can go to different websites and get different reviews. is there a phyiscal reason why i would want a differet one like speed,options,etc?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Don't let me talk you out of buying what you want.

I was stating a personal opinion .

#8 wirthnm

wirthnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

its not that i dont want to be talked out of a purchase, its that i want to know what makes one motherboard or other componet better than another. im trying to get educated be for i purchase it.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

Motherboards are mass produced and quality varies. After 70+ reviews, a general opinion is forming that the board is not that great especially when compared to others. Motherboards vary not only in size but also features. a Micro-ATX motherboard does not have the same features as a standard ATX and of the included features, some can be limiting. For instance, on the XFX board, you are limited to 95W or less CPU's, shutting out the higher performing ones. Due to the size of the board, installing a large GPU may block access to SATA ports which will limit the number of drives you can have. The on-board video is flaky, and if you install a dual slotted GPU, you will only have access to a single PCI slot, but this is typical of boards of that size. Given the size of your case, the ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard would be a better option.

3939.png

#10 wirthnm

wirthnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

i know the size limitations and all of that. what i want to know are specs. let me make my self clear. WHAT MAKES http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA OR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA BETTER THAN http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA. Thank you

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

Out of 71 people only 24 people gave the XFX a good review for a total of 34%.

Out of 746 pe3ople 464 gave the Asus a total of 63% positive.

I would trust a product that 19.3 times the people gave nearly a 100% better rating.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

You know the size specifications and the fact the XFX board is out-of-stock. First, the Asus has a greater customer satisfaction, whether it is in build quality or board layout. The ASUS M3A78-EM board supports up to 140W processors whereas the XFX only goes to 95W. The Asus uses an ATI GPU and AMD chipset whereas the XFX uses a NVidia one. Both boards allow for hybrid SLI/Crossfire depending on the GPU. The XFX does not allow for any of the Phenom II CPU's to be used but the Asus does. The Asus board has the SATA ports in a different location, keeping them from being blocked by the GPU. These reasons, along with a greater number of satisfied customers, lead the Asus to being a better board.

3939.png

#13 wirthnm

wirthnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

thank you DJBPace07 thats exactly what i was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users