Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not boot - stuck on motherboard screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baybadoll

Baybadoll

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hello. My PC was attacked by a recycler virus and a trojan horse fakealert so I originally posted over in the HiJackThis forum. Then the computer crashed. So SiFuMike referred me to you.

I have XP Pro. Computer drives: Partitioned [C: NTFS, D: FAT32, E: FAT32]; Other Internal [H: NTFS]; External [J: FAT32]; Jump [I:FAT32].

Yesterday when I restarted my computer, it went to a blue screen that said a problem had been detected and windows was shut down to prevent damage. This was the message:

------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start Up Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000019, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804F35A2)

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
------

I restarted the computer. Ran a virus scan (said it was clean).

Today I started the tasks for the virus issue. I downloaded security check and ran it. Then I removed SpyDoctor and restarted my computer. But it didn't restart. It is now sitting on one of the startup screens... the motherboard screen. It says to press DEL to enter SETUP. But it won't respond to anything.

Thanks in advance, Katilyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

Since that error message can be triggered by any driver or various other things, I don't think there's a lot anyone here can do for your system.

If you go down the steps listed by MS when the error occurs AFTER an XP install...you'll see that it's a circle. Check drivers, restore, recover, repair install...

The fact is...anyone one of the programs installed to assist your examination/cleanup of malware...may have drivers which may be creating the STOP error. All of those programs have drivers.

And the fact is...we cannot even be sure that it's a driver which created that error...the malware on your system may have impaired files which now result in the error.

I'd try the Microsoft guidance, as far as is possible. That failing, I would do a clean install.

Maybe someone else has a better idea/plan/approach.

Louis

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hello Baybadoll,

Since you are now able to boot up and have returned to your previously existing HiJack This topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229848/have-recycler-trojan-horse-fakealertkh/ I shall close this topic to avoid confusion.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users