Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, please. worried about trojans and worms on laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 rosemarie2662

rosemarie2662

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

my husband was on our laptop and windows started showing pop-ups saying our computer had been infected with several trojans in various areas of the computer. The comp then wouldn't allow me to do anything to it. The internet kept going to an error http 5000 page and wouldn't let me fix it. Windows defender is the program that popped up originally stating the problems and kept taking me to a page to purchase there product. I started on it today and have made alot of progress. I have made updates and added AVG 8.5 to the laptop and also run several scans. It is now saying that everything is protected and has removed several tracking cookies. the comp seems to be running fine.

I am worried that there may be infections still on the comp. How do I find out if everything has been removed or how do I search for the names of the trojans to aid in removing them? Could Windows Defender have just shown all those trojans to scare me into purchasing their product?

I ran the DDS on the comp and have attached the files incase they may help with diagnosing the problem.

Attached Files

Edited by rosemarie2662, 29 May 2009 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

Hi rosemarie2662,

Welcome to BC HijackThis forum. I am farbar. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might prolong handling your log and make the job for both of us more difficult.

Your log(s) show that you are using so called peer-to-peer or file-sharing programs. These programs allow to share files between users as the name(s) suggest. In today's world the cyber crime has come to an enormous dimension and any means is used to infect personal computers to make use of their stored data or machine power for further propagation of the malware files. A popular means is the use of file-sharing tools as a tremendous amount of prospective victims can be reached through it.

It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading manipulated files via peer-to-peer tools and thus suggested to be used with intense care. Some further readings on this subject, along the included links, are as follows: "File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer" and "Risks of File-Sharing Technology."

Removal Instructions

You seem to have done a good job. Yet we are going to make sure nothing (hidden) is left on the system.
  • Empty all p2p download folders. They might contain infected files. Please avoid using these p2p applications until the system is clean. Using these applications at this stage might lead to reinfection or infecting other users.

• Please delete the following adware folders:

c:\program files\MyWebSearch
    c:\program files\FunWebProducts
    c:\program files\PokerStars.NET

• Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from MajorGeeks
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the MBAM log.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

Is anybody there?

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

This thread will now be closed due to lack of activity.

If you should have the same or a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users