Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot sector virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smoker

smoker

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

Well i have came to a conclusion that the computer that I'm working on has a boot sector virus. Is there a program that i can use without having windows up and running to fix the problem. A program that is boot able ?.

Sorry i have posted three threads on this matter but really trying to get this working.... Thanks

Edited by smoker, 29 May 2009 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

What antivirus is installed as most AV's will detect booot sector virus.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

smoker.

Some bios setups can be configured to prevent writing to the boot sector of the hard drive. This may be of some use against boot sector viruses. However, if you need to reinstall or upgrade the operating system, you will have to change the setting back to make the MBR writable again.

turn off write protect in bios.

go here http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

and download the boot sector removal tool from another computer if possible.

copy to floppy some how.

or get a live Knoppix or pclinuxos cd and copy files you want to keep to a cd/dvd or two. better still external hdd.

or use the OS install disk after turning off write protect in bios. best option?????

feedback please.

cheers ?

Edited by TallyHo, 29 May 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#4 smoker

smoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

smoker.

Some bios setups can be configured to prevent writing to the boot sector of the hard drive. This may be of some use against boot sector viruses. However, if you need to reinstall or upgrade the operating system, you will have to change the setting back to make the MBR writable again.

turn off write protect in bios.

go here http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

and download the boot sector removal tool from another computer if possible.

copy to floppy some how.

or get a live Knoppix or pclinuxos cd and copy files you want to keep to a cd/dvd or two. better still external hdd.

or use the OS install disk after turning off write protect in bios. best option?????

feedback please.

cheers ?

Sorry for the slow reply i was out of town... I got everything you said but i don't see a setting in the bios to turn the write protect off?. Would it be called something besides that... Also i tried the pclinuxos 2009 and i get a error saying can't mount the device... Thanks again for all your help here... Smoker :thumbsup:

Edited by smoker, 01 June 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Sounds like a hard drive problem...if you tried Windows and linux and both have problems with the drive, IMO.

Louis

#6 smoker

smoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like a hard drive problem...if you tried Windows and linux and both have problems with the drive, IMO.

Louis

I have put another hd in the system with no os on it but get the same blue screen when trying to load the os to the new hd...
This must be a wicked virus cause it even set a admin password as well that won't let me bypass...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

Well...I would tend to believe that it's a motherboard/CPU/PSU, et alia problem...if it's common to two different hard drives.

But, I've been wrong before.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users