Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow site acquisition in browsers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZinMe

ZinMe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi all, this is my first post.

I recently starting having major difficulties with my browser. When I open internet explorer it takes about 10-15 seconds for the first web site to appear, and nearly that long when any subsequent websites are selected. When it a new site/page does appear, the loading process is longer than it used to be, and scrolling / selecting links on the page when it loads is very slow. I also had a problem where IE would completely shut down in the middle of accessing a new web page/site or at times it would revert to a dell page showing a bunch of related links. Symptoms of the problem include a hard drive that sounds like it is working overtime and a CPU that appears to working overtime as well- often at 60-90% of capacity even when just using IE with no other applications open.

So far, I have run a full scan of my sytem using McAfee security center and also did a McAfee maintance scan/deletion that cleaned out my internet cookies/caches etc.... I also defragmented. I also upgraded to IE7 from IE6 (this fixed the crashing problem, but page/site access s still as slow as before) and I ran pcpitstop which didn't show any significant problems. Maybe I should go to IE8? I should mention that I tried Safari and it was almost as slow. Other PCs/laptops working on my home network work fine, so it isn't the internet connection. There are a lot of processes running, but I'm reluctant to kill more of those as it is difficult to say which ones are necessary and which ones aren't. Certainly the number of processes running isn't larger than it has been previously.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this problem. I have a Dell E510 with an Pentium D 2 core processor (about 2.5 yrs old) with 3GB of memory and enough HD space left as well. It has a relatively new graphics card so my son can play his new Call of Duty.

Any advice on what else I could try to fix the problem would be appreciated. I am planning to buy a new computer soon-- I am editing large batches of raw NEF files from a 12 megapixel DSLR using lightroom, and more processing horsepwer would be great and my kids will get this computer. But after this recent problem, as well as prior problems with software and the DVD drive on the Dell, I think I may cough up for a Mac.... I don't know why microsoft can't make these systems more manageable.

Thanks!

Edited by ZinMe, 29 May 2009 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:01 PM

Hello,

I am having some of the same problems and also some different ones as you. But From what I have explored on my computer and found out by also having other problems pop up since I bought my computer about 4 years ago, is that some of the problems can be caused by Registry File errors. Also another thing that can cause similar problems lik this is not Defragging the Hard-drive every once in a while. I also think having too many "Start-up" programs, which are programs that function or operate at computer start up, can cause a very slow computer on start up, if I remember correctly. I know that is partially, part of my problem.

As to going about how to fix those problems I mentioned, I am not 100% sure. That is why I have been comming here for help! If the people here cannot help you; they will be able to point you to others who can. Most of the time they try to guide you through it.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users