Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philomath

philomath

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hello,

I am having a problem where my computer randomly shuts down and restarts. This happens sometimes a minute after I get online and sometimes an hour or so after I get online. I am currently using dial up (kind of living in a temporary apt right now :thumbsup: ). My computer is a Sony Vaio desktop with a 2.8 P4 with Win XP personal. I don't think it is the power supply because this only occurs when I am online no matter how long I leave my computer turned on. I have seen alot of forums where people have had this problem while playing games, but being that I am currently using dial up, I am not doing much of that. Also, I have plently of ram. The problem started recently when I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Prior to that I had Norton Antivirus 2004. I have tried Norton tech support and they concluded that it wasn't a result of the Norton. Another thing that happened at the same time is that my javascripts in Internet Explorer quit working; but this only happened in e-mails. In other words I can open links on websites but not links sent to me via my hotmail account. However, these links still work when I access my e-mail from AOL. Kinda strange, huh? I am going to quit typing now for fear that my computer is about to shut off and I am going to have to retype all of this. Thanks in advance for your advice. - Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

Thats interesting.

I would download HighJackThis and post your log file in the HJT forum...a link to an up to date HJT can be found in their forum.

Good luck
JTH

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:15 AM

Hi Matt,

I have tried Norton tech support and they concluded that it wasn't a result of the Norton.

Hmm.. very suprising. :thumbsup:

Is your copy of XP at SP2 level and updated? That may be related.

I don't rate NIS at all having seen it do some really disgusting things to systems (particularly WinME) but I would have thought they had it straightened out by now?
One way to tell is to download AVG, install that and uninstall the Nortons temporarily (you have a copy of the activation number when you registered, right?). Turn on the Windows firewall (unless you want to download a better one - Sygate or ZoneAlarm are pretty good) and that just about covers it. You can survive without the spam blocking and parental control stuff for a while I'm guessing?

(US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Then try it. If your problem goes away that's pretty conclusive.

Let us know either way. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

Many times random shut downs are caused by over heating. Is it possible that adding NIS added enough of a load to the processor to push it over the edge?

Have you checked to see if your fan is clean and free of dust, cat hair, small animals? That could also be a factor if it is a over heating problem.:thumbsup:

#5 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:44 AM

i had the same problem with mine it turned out to be overheating try putting the pc in a cooler area or put a fan on if it hasnt got 1

then it can be just like the smilie :thumbsup:
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users