Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lightning strike

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone at Bleepingcomputer !!

I have an Emachine W3611, Windows Vista Basic, 2GB of RAM and a 3.0GHz process.
I believe it took a lightning stike, not too long ago. It didn't want to boot up. Sometimes it would start running but then shut off after a few seconds. Nothing apears on the monitor and it's a different monitor that I know works. So I guessed it to be a motherboard. I tried a different power supply and got the same results. I ordered a motherboard off of Ebay and installed it but I get the same results. Would you say that it's the processor ? The processor # is SL9KG
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

memory ? graphics card ?

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

There is no graphics card in it. I tried 3 different sticks of RAM a few minutes ago and I get the same results. It will run between 5 - 10 seconds and then just cut off.
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

Remove the CPU from the motherboard and plug the computer back in
If you turn it on and the fans spin and keep running, the CPU is bad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

I removed the CPU and turned it on. No fans came on, nothing spinned.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

If it has a Bestec power supply in it that is more then likely the problem.
Bestec PSU's are best known for going bad & frying the motherboard.
Most of the time the power supply will still appear to work properly.
If it has a Bestec PSU & you hooked a new motherboard to it more then likely it immediatly fried the motherboard as soon as you pushed the on button.
Emachines are actually pretty good computers except for the cheap, junk, Bestec power supplies.
I have never understood why a co. keeps using those gar-bage PSU's knowing they are giving the product a bad reputation.

I have fixed many Emachines with the same problem.
More then likely all is good except the power supply & motherboard.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

It has a HiPro, 300 W power supply in it.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hipro is half way decent, it could still be bad though.
Lightning will do that.

It appears the unit has a Socket 775 motherboard.
Since the motherboard was replaced I would pop the CPU off & inspect the socket.
It's pretty easy to bend pins in the socket.
They don't work so well after that.

To eliminate guessing & killing components you need to have it checked at a shop unless you have another known good , working unit, you can test the CPU in.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

I've tried a different power supply and got the same results. The socket looks good under magnification.

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

I have a SL6WF processor here. Would I be able to use it for a test processor ? It is "hyper-threading and 800fsb also.

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

In order to determine exactly what is bad you either need known good spare parts to try in the unit or a unit to try the CPU ,etc. in.

Where did you get the new motherboard from ?

#12 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

I bought the board from Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270393538675

#13 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

I've got to head into work so I will catch up with this later tonight. Thanks for all your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Y^ou need to have some stuff tested.
I'm still of the opinion that the PSU is bad & fried your new motherboard but I could be wrong.
As I said, you are not going to find the exact problem without some way of testing parts unless you just start replacing stuff until the unit works.
I would remove the power supply that's in it though.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

I had a bad surge a few years back with similar symptoms, I swapped boards and chip still N/G. A friend said open the power supply and check to see if it had a fuse, sure enough it did put in a new fuse and was back in business. I am not sure if all supplies are fused or not but 15 minutes would tell the tale.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users