Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway boot mwnu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jrich10

Jrich10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone:

This is my inaugural post and here it goes. I was operating microsoft word in windows vista and i hooked it up to my hp deskjet d4200 series and tried to print. It would not recognize the USB connection so I decided to shut down my computer and restart it again later. The shut down screen was ok for a long time so I manually shut the computer down with the power button, now it will not go past the boot up screen without turning off and restarting again. After a few restsrts its goes past the menu to a blank screen and the harddrove light is doing nothing as of right now. My computer is a gateway mt6831 and I have already tried to take the battery out and use it but to no avail.

Please help!!
Thanks

EDIT: Merged duplicate topics

Edited by garmanma, 31 May 2009 - 01:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sunildev

Sunildev

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Have you tried using the windows vista repair options?

Walkthru:

Insert the windows vista dvd, allow it to boot, when it gets to the install now screen, select repair from the lower left side of the window. Select "Startup Repair." Post back and let us know whatever results you come up with.
Sunildev.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Will it boot into "Safe Mode"?? I have seen where booting into safe mode and doing a clean shut down from there can clear things up, it is worth a try! Turn it on and repeatedly hit the F8 key when menu comes arrow up select safe mode, if it asks any system questions move it to what the system you have installed. Let it full boot and sit for a few minutes until all HD activity stops then do a shut down and cross your fingers!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like the MBR is corrupted

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jrich10

Jrich10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

I've tried that and it does not go to the install screen, it goes to a black screen, but a few times after that the computer boots up just fine without the problems. I have no idea what is going on, but I am posting from it right now. There are always problems after I shut down the computer and try to turn it back on, but not if I sleep it. next time I shut it down I will let you know what goes on then.

Thanks for the help

#6 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

Perhaps you should do a full recovery (clean) and see if that helps. Since you can access the computer, I'd suggest backing up your documents and then doing a full system recovery.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users