Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another IP address on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sultrynights

sultrynights

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

I noticed an icon at the bottom of my screen and when I slid the arrow over it, a message appeared saying something like another IP address was detected...when I tried clicking on it for more info it disappeared. I can't remember the exact words but it was definitely letting me know something wasn't right....am I infected with something now? Can someone get on my computer like that? Limewire was up, could it be someone trying to share a music file? :thumbsup:

thanks

sultry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hello, what does the icon look like? if you right click the icon can you determine a name/
If you have limewire configured to share your files it is very possible that some one is uploading or searhing.. Also downloading from them has a potentilal security risk of malware. I believe you can check a history their of upload activity and see if someone is using your PC. You should also verify which files you have allowed access to.

Edit: I believe you have MBAm on here already,if not I'll give a download.
But may as well check while you are here.
Rerun MBAM like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Edited by boopme, 29 May 2009 - 10:29 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

thanks! :thumbsup: I updated the mbam and here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2192
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/29/2009 11:57:13 AM
mbam-log-2009-05-29 (11-57-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 87715
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Unfortunately, the icon disappeared when I clicked on it. I dd immediately close down limewire in case. So I guess that could have been the source. Doesn't look like I picked up anything bad.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

Ok, looks good. probably upload activity..
P2P downloads can be risky so be careful there. Go into the application and be sure what files you have allowed access to. If you do not want them there uploading dont allow the sharing..

Everything else good?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

thanks for helping boopme. Just had it pop up again and this time I saw that it's a yellow symbol (like a yield sign) and says something about a system error and another IP address on my computer. It won't allow me to right click on it and disappears quickly. Not sure if limewire has been used recently or not. Do you know how to check for sharing and how to stop that in case that is the source of the problem? I'm not the one using limewire on here.

thanks!

SP

Edited by sultrynights, 30 May 2009 - 04:46 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hello, you're very welcome. Can you post a screenshot of that?
Inserting An Image Within A Post

Ok I will look that up for you.(limewire)

#7 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

thanks. yes if it pops up again I'll try. Never did a screenshot before though so no guarantees I can do it! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users