Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Excel and Word Hyperlinks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LHIM

LHIM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

Error Dialog box: "This Operation has been canceled due to restrictions on your computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I AM the system administrator. I first noticed this with Word with a hyperlink to an Excel file (on my machine and is in fact in the same folder as the Word doc) that I added. Then I had the same issue with Excel - those links mostly being to web pages.

After searching for answers - there is an abundance including paying Microsoft for a solution - I found that (1) if I make IE8 my default browser, the hyperlinks in Excel work. Note that my default browser was (and still is) Seamonkey (v1.1.16). I did click the "Make IE my default browser" - it now is not; Seamonkey is the default and my Excel HLs still open IE8. Cute. Is this a hijack of sorts by MS of how its office apps work?

There was also some other suggestion of a missing Registry entry but that is in fact present on my machine.

NOTE: Running WinXP; latest SP and Office 2003. System is otherwise stable.

I also read that if you have/had Google's Chrome browser and then uninstalled it that similar issues could arise - these however usually are described as issues with email hyperlinks. However, I did install some Google toolbox and missed the fact that Chrome would be part of that. I any case my hyperlink issue arose after Chrome was removed and IE8 installed. I do NOT know if the issue started in between the two actions or not.

I use TreePad+ for organizing various issues and all the Web hyperlinks work just fine. Hence my suspicions about MS and IE8...

To summarize:

A Excel HLs work but only by opening IE8 while I would much prefer it to use Seamonkey (or other browser of CHOICE)

B MS Word hyperlink to an Excel file does not work - I still get the message above.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LHIM

LHIM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

EDIT: I ran MS Update for Office and now the Word issue is resolved. However. Excel still opens hyperlinks in IE8 instead of Seamonkey...

#3 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

I would try reinstalling SeaMonkey...or removing IE8 and going down a version.

I've never actually seen this happen though, so it's not exactly my area of expertise.

It seems like the link between excel and your default browser was lost somewhere along the lines. So renstalling the browser or Excel would be my first steps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users