Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Internet Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:19 AM

Dear Friends,
I prepared a computer for a friend - an old computer running Windows ME. Someone apparently tried to install Internet Explorer 8. It's my understanding only IE6 will run successfully on Windows ME. The problem is I can't seem to find a way to uninstall it. (1) It is not listed among the programs in the add/remove applications dialog box (2) There does not seem to be an uninstall program in the IE8 folder. (3) I am not familiar enough with registry matters to enable some kind of uninstall feature. I think it needs to be removed. I believe it is creating problems with the OS. It crashes without warning. There seem to be software conflicts. The system scarcely starts up. Is there any way to uninstall it and go back to IE6 or even just use Firefox? I can't even browse before everything crashes. Anytime I try to use IE8 (for any reason) it simply crashes the system. The same happens to Firefox. I can't help but believe the crashes are related. Can't download anything because I can't browse. Somebody help! Thanks.

bbaker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

i cant see how she installed it lol since am sure its not supported os and stuff
some times a reformat is the best idea
but some one else may have some ideas so wait

mabye turning stuff off in msconfig will help
go to start and then run and type msconfig
go to the start up tab and turn off every thing and then click clean up and then click ok
go to the environment tabb and turn off every thing

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

I prepared a computer for a friend - an old computer running Windows ME. Someone apparently tried to install Internet Explorer 8. It's my understanding only IE6 will run successfully on Windows ME. Is there any way to uninstall it and go back to IE6 or even just use Firefox? I can't even browse before everything crashes. Anytime I try to use IE8 (for any reason) it simply crashes the system. The same happens to Firefox. I can't help but believe the crashes are related. Can't download anything because I can't browse.

Yes IE6.0 SP1 is the last version that runs on Win9x/ME. As starcraftmaster says I'm supprised that IE8.0 installed it should have given a warning unsupported os. I tried to install IE7.0 and that told me the wrong os. I think he's going a bit over the top by saying do a Format without trying to resolve the current problem.

What is listed in Control Panel - Add/Remove? Internet Explorer should be listed. If you click on it to remove you will be given the option remove existing and install a previous version. What was the previous version?

Download the install IE6.0 SP1 that should overwrite any references to IE8. Now the link of Microsoft isn't very good because its only a 460kb installation link. Depending on your connection it can take a long time to download and install. It used to take me one and half hour on dialup. You can download the full IE6.0 Full Installer its 77MB which you could burn to a CD. I had a link to IE6.0 SP1 full download but I've lost it.

Now with FireFox the last version thats suitable for Win9x/ME is Firefox 2.0.0.20 or there is always Opera 9.64. All versions of Opera work on all Windows versions.

Without being able to browse then you won't download these you would have to ask a friend to download them for you. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Fix It might work
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users