Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL Netbook Inspirionn 910 Disk/Memory Full Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

I'm not sure if this is being posted in the correct place. If a moderator reads it and decides on a better place, please advise.

I have a Dell Inspirion-910 which has an 8 Gb solid-state hard drive, 3 USB ports, built in camera, network connector, external Monitor conector and an SD-MS card reader, and 1-GB of RAM. The system came installed with XP-Home, McAfee security suite, Works/Office and a few other goodies(?) provided by DELL.

I initially installed the Dazzle software suite because we bought this to move our old VHS movies to DVD.

Problem #1 appeared during the install, NOT ENOUGH free disk space to continue install (this was after it installed the first
CD and was a good way into the second CD. Since the install aborted by itself, remnants were left in various folders on the
HDD. ADD/REMOVE couldn't work because it wasn't listed. The suite's uninstall was unavailable because it was on the disk which aborted. I tried to use the uninstall but apparently there were not enough hooks to do the job.

While I was manually trying to find all related files and manually delete them, I started to get the message about not enough virtual memory. Windows adjusted it KIND OF.

I had a spare 80GB USB drive which I plugged in, along with an 8-GB Key memory stick, and an external USB CD/DVD
drive. I was still getting the NOT ENOUGH hard disk space. Perhaps it was the recycle bin ... but ????

The system stopped complaining about virtual memory. I called DELL tech support and explained the problem. Their Technician took control and removed some other trial software that DELL had put on. \

Still not enough space to install DAZZLE though.

THEN THE WORST HAPPENED, McAfee complained I was not protected, click FIX, I did. It verified my subscription and then began to download the Security Suite --- NO SPACE ON HARD DISK DRIVE.

I called Dell again. This time, not their problem, See McAfee. I called them, WHOOPS IT IS A DELL PROBLEM.

So where I stand now is with a HDD with 329Mb of free space. If I forgot to mention, the disk is compressed to save space.

So my Questions boils down to how to clean up the remaining portions of DAZZLE and McAfee.

Is it possible to Uninstall Works and then install it on the 80Gb external USB drive? Possibly the same with Movie Maker, Media Player etc.

I have disks for Works and the Webcam but not for many of the other programs which DELL installed. I have uninstalled the useless ones (useless to me, that is).

Besides McAfee wanting to be updated, A New Version of JAVA is available and ready to be installed. I doubt either will fit.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

An 8GB drive...is barely large enough for XP Home, updates, the pagefile and a few programs.

If you have hibernation enabled, that will eat up more space. If you have indexing enabled...more space down the drain.

System restore...same thing (although SR is useful for those users who don't backup routinely).

Programs can be installed on any partition/drive where space is available.

The pagefile can be installed on a different partition.

Data files of any sort...can be installed on a different partition. There is no reason to have photos, etc. on the boot partition.

Louis

#3 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

Just took a lightening hit here ... dont know if post was sent/saved ... on UPS for two mins gotta run and
shut down other boxex ... thanx for your hellp will get back later when the storm has passed

regards _ed_

#4 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Dennis the Menace

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

gets rid of a lot of "Menacing" crap'.

have a good look, feel of what it does first! e.g., select new computer, old computer etc.

follow hamluis advice. some software doesn't like being installed to anything but C drive though.

cheers.

#5 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

http://weather.marylandweather.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=LWX

looks like a ripper. LOL

#6 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

TallyHo ... thanks for the helpful words with the WX but the MS6743 mother-board did not survive the lightening ...
and just how would I know? Other than sys would not come up and there is a black carbon trace next to the CPU.
SIGH! Lucky this was only box hit.
Hamluis ... I guess something ate my post when hit ... I really don't remember all that I had typed but have some
additional info mayhaps you can provide assistance ... please and thank you.

while waiting for cheap replacement MB ($67 with cpu and 1Gb-RAM) I did some research using other boxex:

Following passed FYI in case other users can use the info:

These are stats from the systems I have and/or those I have access to:

Disk space usage (more or less):
Windows XP Home about 1.5-1.75Gb ... page file 350Mb
Windows XP Pro between 3.8 and 4.0Gb ... page file ... about 800Mb
Documents &Settings usually around 1.1Gb

None of this includes hyperfiile.sys, swap space, temp space for installs and stand-by space while sleeping

.......... Be all this as it may, I have also noticed (quite by accident) many many many text files in the WINDOWS directory and in the I386 directory which seem to serve no purpose .... can anyone tell me if these files can simply be
deleted? This would save a tremendous amount of space.

Does anyone know of an application which could/would look at these files and make them go away?

*** I still need to know if there is a program or mechanism to remove either a partially installed program or
a program in which the un-installer srarted BUT then either aborted or crashed or QUIT!

I really hate to have to trash this netbook (for fear DELL installed "STUFF" that is not obvious) and start all over
again.

As I said earlier, any and all assistance is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#7 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

May as well close this out . Thanks to those who helped.
problem not quite fully solved but getting there I hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users