Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USING COMPUTER TO FULL POTENTIAL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nites2k

Nites2k

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:19 PM

I upgraded my PC to:

• A Seagate 300GB SATA HD (dnt have spec name)
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
  • ASRock AOD790GX/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard
  • AMD HDX920XCGIBOX Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Cache 8MB AM2+ 125W Processo
  • VisionTek 900202 Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire
  • Crucial (2x) 2GB 240-Pin DDR2
  • COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR 650W ATX
I was just wondering if theres settings that can be changed or things overclocked, in order to fully unlock the full potential of my PC. I was considering adding 2 more GBs with a total of 6 GBs but I am running on XP PRO (32) and I am unsure if it really makes a difference. Also I am running my OS on my smaller and older Seagate 300GB HD instead of my new Samsung 1TB, though most of my things are on the TB. Would the computer run faster if was running windows off the TB and having that as the primary drive?

I also heard of a /3GB switch on bootup could that help my comp too?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

Well I dont think you really need to overclock anything unless you are into gaming and really want to squeeze out an extra couple FPS. Any 32 bit operating system will not use more than like 3.2 GB of memory, you will have to upgrade to a 64 bit version. Most new motherboards come with real easy overclocking features, usually in the BIOS settings. but just remember that overclocking your computer causes stress on components and can cause them to fail and void warranties. If you do decide to overclock i would invest in some better cooling also. No I do not think that your computer would run faster if it was off of the TB hard drive, unless you are using an old PATA drive, which you are not.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users