Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pretty creapy Norton trick!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

I was down in Texas visiting a good friend, he is more then upset with Norton 360. A few weeks ago he picked up a virus that Norton could not fix, he contacted tech support they informed him to get this bug bfixed that the suite he paid to have protect him would cost $99. Now the 64,000 is what the heck did he pay for in the first place, I had problems with Norton years back and side lined it forever. I hope the company stews in hell!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

I was down in Texas visiting a good friend, he is more then upset with Norton 360. A few weeks ago he picked up a virus that Norton could not fix, he contacted tech support they informed him to get this bug bfixed that the suite he paid to have protect him would cost $99. Now the 64,000 is what the heck did he pay for in the first place, I had problems with Norton years back and side lined it forever. I hope the company stews in hell!

you don't think the devil would take em' in do you?? :thumbsup:

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

I had Norton for 4 years, and then canned them. Went "Free" programs (avira, et al) for a year before trying Windows Live OneCare. Now that MS has discontinued that, i am back to "Free" stuff again.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

No security software will give 100% protection. It's job can be made even harder sometimes trying to protect users from themselves, who think that because they have an Antivirus/Firewall installed they should be completely protected, they go surfing and downloading files etc. willy-nilly and then complain when they get infected. If you look at any recent reputable AV testing, you will see that Norton repeatably scores well and is always in the top 5.

I often think sometimes the weakest link in a computers security is the person behind the keyboard.

#5 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

I agree Reddawn. Most of the time, when a computer is infected, it is the user that has not exercised caution. I have used Norton AV last year and it has not let me down. This year, I was decided to switch to Nod32 that has also kept me happy.

Just my 2 cents.

#6 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

I still use Norton and I'm fine.....

Then again, I heard that the main campus will require Norton to have a connection. If that's true, I'm going to have to leave it on here for a little while longer since one of our classes is going to be a cross campus group project, supposedly.

But yeah, RedDawn basically summed up a part of why people get malware onto their computers in the first place, and that's the people behind it (I can blame that for the most part from personal experience. Whenever I got an infection, it's pretty much my fault for going to that place in the first place).

....shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users