Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer is... bleeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Danja

Danja

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

My friend's hard drive died today and I offered to hook it up to my computer to try to salvage data from it. I attached the IDE and power cable of my Dell Dimension desktop and powered up, and it would not get past the BIOS screen, so I removed the new hard drive and tried to boot up. Unfortunately, the system's reaction was to produce several pairs of low-pitched bleeps and then fall silent without ever displaying to the monitor. I'm pretty sure I didn't jostle anything and I didn't reposition any motherboard connections. Has anyone heard this type of noise before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Open the computer & recheck all connections.
Also check the memory to make sure it is seated properly.
If you have a video card check it too.
your problem with your friends hard drive is it needed to be set to Slave.
If you didn't change the jumper on the back of the hard drive you were trying to boot 2 Master drives which won't work.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 28 May 2009 - 10:38 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Danja

Danja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

Open the computer & recheck all connections.
Also check the memory to make sure it is seated properly.
If you have a video card check it too.
your problem with your friends hard drive is it needed to be set to Slave.
If you didn't change the jumper on the back of the hard drive you were trying to boot 2 Master drives which won't work.

Thanks for reminding me about the jumper; I had totally forgotten. I reseated everything and the beeps still persist though. Does anyone know what low system beeps can be caused by?

#4 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

Each bios has their own set of beep codes. count the number of beeps and whether they are long or short. here is a website that shows different beep codes. http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

So you are saying you are getting this error when you took your friends hard drive out and tried to boot your computer up original configuration?
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#5 Danja

Danja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

I was completely lost and ready to give up on this computer when I noticed a small piece of dirt that looked like the outer coat of a single corn kernel laying on the mobo. I picked it up but didn't think much of it. About 10 minutes later I fired up the computer and everything worked as normal. I have no idea what was going on there, but I'm glad everything is back in working order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users