Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display adapter updating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kman621

kman621

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

I was using google earth and clicked on, view printable image, it connected to the internet and i got the bsod. I looked on a forum site and it said it was an issue with graphics card. I went to update my display adapter which is a geforce2 mx with tv out and it updates it to just geforce2 mx, which seems like it's a downgrade to me but what do I know.(not much when it comes to computers.) Anyway the date was earlier so I said what the hell and restarted when desktop came up everything was huge and properties did nothing.(wouldn't let me put past lowest res.) to make an already long story a little shorter I tried a bunch of stuff couldn't successfully update. I ended up uninstalling google earth and sticking with driver. Do I need to update it? Is there a way? Can I just buy a physical chip from the store and replace it? Sorry all the questions. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

In order to upgrade your graphics you need to replace the current adapter. Do find out what you can replace it with we need to know what kind of computer you have. To upgrade the drivers go to Nvidia.com and download the latest drivers.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 kman621

kman621
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

This is all the info on what I have I could find.

under system properties it says: DELL DIMENSION DIM4400

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name D46JMH11
System Manufacturer D845PT
System Model FLASH___
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1893 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. A05, 3/14/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

Looks like you have an AGP 4x card installed. Thankfully there are is still a prety good selection of AGP cards available. You can find them on newegg.com. You can use a 4x/8x card but it will operate at the 4x speed.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 kman621

kman621
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Thank you so much for the info much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users