Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Clears all Cookies and Cache when Laptop is Closed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StephSVA

StephSVA

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello, a little while ago I had some nasty viruses/malware on my computer and the nice folks over in that forum helped me clean it all up. Well since I have gotten all cleaned up every time I go to close my laptop it clears the Firefox cookies and cache. I do not use IE so I am not sure if it is happening in that browser. This problem only started occuring after my viruses/malware was cleaned off. I asked the nice guy that was helping me, if anything he had me do would be causing this and he said "No" and I should ask for help over here.

I can still use the internet but it is very difficult to have to choose things every time I go to every website. The Firefox is remembering my passwords and user names but it is not keeping me logged in at the places. I used to be logged in forever at one forum now I have to do it each time.

It does not happen when I just close Firefox and then reopen it, only when I close the laptop and the computer goes to sleep, it does not hibernate when closed just sleeps.

I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Firefox 3.0.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Any help to stop it from clearing my cache/cookies is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DLWebmaestro

DLWebmaestro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Go to Tools... Options... and then the Privacy tab. Is "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" checked?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hello StephSVA,

I'm not certain exactly what is causing this. If it were the privacy tab, your cookies and cache would be cleared when you close the browser, but clearly this isn't the case.

Have you tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it? It is possible that Firefox got damaged as a result of the infection.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 StephSVA

StephSVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

The "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" box is not checked.

I will try the Firefox uninstall and reinstall. I will post back after I get that done. Thanks Orange Blossom for the suggestion.

#5 StephSVA

StephSVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

Ok I completely uninstalled Firefox and then restarted the computer and reinstalled Firefox. I used it for the rest of last night and then some this morning, but the issue is still there, the cookies and cache are still being cleared.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

When you uninstalled Firefox, did you also remove the profile? That has to be done manually. If you don't do that, any errors created by a corrupt profile will be replicated in the new installation. Note: Before doing so, export your bookmarks to an HTML file. You may also wish to make a copy of your extensions folder to move back into the new profile provided the extensions haven't been corrupted.

You can find the profile here:

C:\\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random set of numbers such as: dgtdvsiz.default

The extensions folder is within the profile folder.
---------
Another thing to check.

Tools ==> Options ==> Privacy

By cookies click on Exceptions. Under the Status column, see if you have Allow for Session or Allow. If the former, that would explain why you have to log back in. That said, however, you the cookies would go bye-bye when closing the browser, and this isn't what's happening.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 May 2009 - 01:32 PM.
Fix BB code. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 StephSVA

StephSVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Ok none of my exceptions say Allow or Allow for Session...they all say Block.

In fact none of the sites I visit and want to stay logged into are even on the list. It seems like all the site on this list are spam and bad sites.

Maybe that is the problem....

Posted Image

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

No, actually that is not the problem because of how you have your cookies control set up. You have yours set to accept cookies until they expire. So, you would not need an exceptions list for sites to "allow" or "allow for session". I have mine set up to ask me every time, so I do need to have allowed sites in my exception list.
=========
So, back to the other question in my previous post: When you uninstalled Firefox, did you delete the profile? If not, then uninstall again, this time navigate to and delete the profile folder. Again, export your bookmarks first and save a copy of your extensions folder first.

Orange Blossom

#9 StephSVA

StephSVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Ok, I went back and deleted the profile and uninstalled Firefox and have now reinstalled.

I am going to use it for awhile and go and sign in my websites and hopefully the cookies will stay and the cache will not be cleaned.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Let us know how it works out.

~ OB

Orange Blossom

#11 StephSVA

StephSVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Well what a joy!

It seems to be working more or less, may of the places I sign into keep me signed in and only a few are logging me out. The pages like UPS.com that remember my location are remembering it so that is really good.

I think that mostly fixed the problems. I can deal with the few forums and other places that are not keeping me logged in. Thanks!

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Great! I'm glad the problem is resolved. It is quite likely that the sites you now have to log into each time are those that don't use permanent cookies.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users