Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone help me make a desktop/laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

I need something under around 700. At least 2.5+ ghz, 64 MB video card, wireless or a slot where I can put my wireless card. Internal modem, USB port, external keyboard slot, printer slot, DVD/CD rom drive, sound card, a good cooling system and at least a 2 hour battery supply. If anyone can help me build one or give me a site, i would appreciate it. Also if you can let me know the shipping and handling.

I need a stable system that doesn't crash like my PC. I'm sure its my norton that does that but I'm not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Try www.Newegg.com

heres one that i found that should suit your needs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834101177

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

$700 is a good price point for most typical PC users. If you're a gamer or someone who wants to upgrade their PC every year or so, a desktop computer would be a better choice. Laptops are not designed for high performance so they lack the graphical capabilities of their desktop counterparts. Combine that with a sealed case and they are not good options especially in regards to cost vs. performance. If you want to save even more cash, a desktop is the way to go assuming you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

3939.png

#4 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

I would recommend building a desktop unless you're on the move often. For $700, a decent rig could be made.

Okay, my thoughts...
Since you want 64MB video and sound, I assume this is all onboard. I have heard that the Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard has pretty good sound and video, capable for light gaming. It is about $135 in Australia. Not sure how much where you live.

For a DVD/CD drive, go for a LG one as they are more quiet (based on personal experiences only).

For a case, choose Cooler Master Elite RC-331 (w/ 350W PSU). Doesn't look that nice, but will do the job.

For the harddrive, Western Digital 640GB 16MB SATAII.

Ram- 2G of kingston 800mhz ram.

CPU- x3 Phenom II 720.

Monitor- 22" Samsung 2253LW

Then add all the expansion cards in the PCI slots. Should be under $700 altogether.

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

I'm a causal gamer, nothing crazy. THe highest requirement game I play is Warcraft 3.

Try www.Newegg.com

heres one that i found that should suit your needs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834101177

Wheres the cooling system? I can't find it.

Edited by CalusBlade, 29 May 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Cooling system? All computers have some form of cooling in the use of fans. A laptop has them in the case just like desktop PC's, only they aren't user servicable. Desktop PC's have at least several case fans, a CPU fan, and a fan on the graphics card. Laptops are not good for gaming and should be avoided if you're going to play anything released in the past three or four years. I'm going to assume you have a monitor with a keyboard and mouse. Below is a suggested setup.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - This is a good case with plenty of cooling. It will, barely, fit a GTX 260 graphics card so any longer cards will not fit. $49

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - It's not a high end board, but most users will find it at least adequate. This board can handle the latest AMD processors and has a relatively recent chipset, but it will not do SLI or Crossfire. $74 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: EVGA 896-P3-1260-TR GeForce GTX 260 896MB - This is the largest card you can fit into your case, but it is a very good card. $172 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Large enough to store many files. $74

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - Your motherboard will take up to 16GB of DDR2-1066 memory. 4GB is enough for most users, gamers valuing performance may get more. $60 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: RAIDMAX AURORA 2 RX-600F 600W - Buying a case with a built-in power supply is just not a good idea since they are rarely ever good. This supply will provide plenty of power to your system with some to spare if you later decide to upgrade. $54 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz - This is one of AMD's newest processors. It is a quad core with a high clock speed, but one of the benefits of this processor is that it is Black Edition. This means it has an unlocked multiplier making it easy to overclock. $189

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - You need one of these to load software onto your PC. $23

Operating System: Windows 7 RC1 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. Normally, I would suggest Windows Vista, but since 7 will be out in a few months, it doesn't make sense to pay for Vista then upgrade to 7. The RC of Windows 7 is free and available for download though July, but know this is a release candidate and not a commercial product. It is very stable but will expire in March 2010. Once Windows 7 is released, you can purchase it and replace the RC with the commercial product before it expires.

Total Cost: $702

3939.png

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

Moderator Note: This post is in reply to a deleted post. - AA

PC Ratings and Resellerratings are good for prebuilt PC's, if you're wanting to build your own, which this section of the forum is for, they won't be of much use. That is they won't give reviews on the components but they can give reviews of equipment sellers.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 December 2009 - 07:01 PM.
Mod Edit: Note - AA

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users