Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi...browser hijacked, can't download updates to anti-malware programs...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 christianullman

christianullman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi Guys:

I'm new to this forum - my name is Chris. Howdy.

Here is an outline of my situation -

I use a Windows XP operating system.

Can't use system restore.

Can't download updates for Avira, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware - they either "time out" or won't complete.

When using Google and Yahoo! search, my browser gets hijacked and is sent to various advertisements that have nothing to do with the search query.

Computer is running slower than slow. Browser window takes forever to pop up.
I use Firefox as my browser.

I tried to reinstall my Windows XP, but when I opened the disk, I was informed that I needed the serial number for my copy of XP (which conveniently for Microsoft, was NOT in the sealed disk envelope). So I can't reinstall Windows XP because I don't have that serial number.

I've tried about everything I can think of doing. Have downloaded several other different malware/spyware tools - none of which I can operate (they won't work).

I find these recent problems I am facing very odd, because I have never had problems in the last four years that I've had this computer - all the problems started when I downloaded Avira, Malwarebyetes and SUPERAntiSpyware. I downloaded those programs on the advice of an online computer safety forum. A friend of mine had problems with his computer, so I did some research and suggested that he download all of those programs. Then, I decided, "What the heck," and downloaded them to my machine. One week later the above problems started. Coincidece? Hmmm....I don't think so.

Anyway, any help you can give me would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

It's more the site you downloaded them from than the applications

If mbam won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

See if it will run in safemode if you cannot get it to run
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 christianullman

christianullman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for your your reply to my initial post...

As I mentioned in my initial post, MBAM will run, I just can't update it. Same for Avira and SUPERAntiSpyware. Perhaps I should be more clear here.

The above three programs all work. I can run them on my machine. The problem is, I can't update them to include fixes for the latest bugs, etc. When I try to update any of these programs, I get blocked from doing so. When I first installed those programs, 100-plus viruses and spyware were identified and removed. Those programs ran fine for the first week or so. Then, I picked up a "bug" of some sort. Which those three programs cannot identify. So I'm assuming it's a problem that those three programs can't identify unless I can log on to the programs' sites and download the latest updates. Which I can't do.

Can somebody offer some advice about how I can remedy this? Maybe someone out there could take a look at one of my HijackThis logs, perhaps, and give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Manually update Mbam
download the definition updates from another computer, save them to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD and transfer to the infected machine. Then just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install the update. If you cannot transfer or install from the infected machine, try installing the file directly from the flash drive to your machine.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions is to install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program, update through MBAM's interface, copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and make sure you reboot afterwards. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users