Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD writer & DVD rom not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I have an HP 725n, windows XP sp3, about 5 years old.

I don't know when it started, but I just realized the CD & DVD drives aren't working.

Tried to uninstall them & let the hardware wizard re-install them, but it fails & says it can't load the drivers - they're missing or corrupted.
I looked on the HP web site to reload the drivers but can't find them - none of the drivers on their site seem to be for the drives I have.

ANy ideas where i can find drivers? are the sites that advertise free fixes for driver problems here on BleepingComputer safe ?

thanks for any help
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

Try going to the CD/DVD drive manufacturers website and search the model number to download the most recent driver. Many times computer "manufacturers" discontinue the drivers with the computers so you have to go straight to the source to get what you need.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

CD/DVD drives...use drivers automatically supplied by Windows. HP does not provide such, there is no need.

If you uninstall the devices and then reboot, new drivers are installed.

Louis

#4 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

Louis - thanks for the reply but it didn't solve my problem. When I uninstalled the devices & then rebooted, I got the same problem that the install failed, the drivers were either missing or corrupted.

Its strange that both CD RW & my DVD reader (separate units) went out at the same time (I think). both are IDE.

I tried downloading a driver for the CD unit from DriverGuide.com but that didn't fix it either, still got the same error.

Does this sound like a Windows XP problem?

If I bought a new CD/DVD burner & installed it would that work?

thanks anyone for any assistance

BT

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

Try disconnecting 1 at a time & see if the other works.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

I would try each (1 at a time) in a different system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users